The Perfect Vegan Instant pot Chana Masala is a delicious traditional Indian-spiced chickpea curry and made with just a few simple ingredients. I’m sure you will enjoy it!
- 3–15 ounce cans of chickpeas OR 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) dried chickpeas
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or neutral oil
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 2 Serrano peppers, minced*
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1–14 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- If you use dry chickpeas, place them in a large bowl and let them soak overnight in cold water. Drain, rinse and set aside. If you use canned chickpeas, open the boxes, drain them, and rinse them.
On the Instant Pot, select the Sauté setting. Add the oil and once it is shimmering, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. They might sputter a bit so stand back. After 30 seconds, add the diced onion and cook, stirring frequently until the onion starts to brown, 6-7 minutes.
Add the garlic, ginger, chilies and bay leaves and stir to combine until garlic is golden brown, 1-2 minutes.
Add the ground spices and seasonings (coriander, turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, black pepper, salt) and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. You may need to add a tablespoon of water to prevent the mixture from drying out and/or burning.
Stir in the canned tomatoes, chickpeas, vegetable broth. Stir well to combine. Select the Keep Warm/Cancel setting.
Secure the Instant Pot lid and set the Pressure Release valve to Sealing. Select the Manual setting on the Instant Pot and set to high pressure for 8 minutes if using canned chickpeas (35 minutes if using soaked, dried chickpeas).
Once the 8 minute timer is up, allow the Instant Pot to come to a natural pressure release. The little metal pin next to the pressure valve will go down once the pressure is released (should take 10-15 minutes).
Open the pot and stir in the lemon juice and cilantro. Serve over rice or with naan bread.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: chana masala, chana masala recipe, chole masala recipe, instant pot chana masala, pressure cooker chana masala