Love falafel? This is the only recipe you’ll ever need. With step-by-step instructions, it’s easy to make this delicious dish at home.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (don’t use canned chickpeas)
- 1 cup parsley, roughly chopped (about one large bunch)
- 1/2 cup onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small green chile pepper, serrano, or jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped (about one large bunch)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- Avocado oil for frying
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- The night before, soak the dried chickpeas in water. Ensure the water covers the chickpeas by 2-3 inches, as they’ll triple in size.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them to your food processor.
- Add the onion, parsley, cilantro, pepper, garlic, cumin, salt, cardamom, and black pepper to the food processor and pulse several times until it resembles the texture of coarse sand.
- Transfer the falafel mixture to a bowl and add the chickpea flour and baking soda. Stir together, then cover or add a lid.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Use your hands, an ice cream scoop, or a falafel scoop to form the falafel into balls or patties. If you find the mixture too wet, add another tablespoon of chickpea flour. If it’s too dry and crumbly, add a teaspoon or two of water or lemon juice.
- Once the falafel is formed, you can cook them using your preferred method.
- Add about 3 inches of oil to a pot on medium heat to deep-fry the falafel. Heat the oil to 350F.
- Cook the falafel in batches (about 6-8 at a time) for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Use a skimmer to check the falafel’s color and ensure they don’t overcook it. Then remove them to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve the falafel immediately while warm and crispy on the outside.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, middle eastern
- Serving Size: 18 falafel balls
- Calories: 62
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 166
- Fat: 1
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 3
Keywords: falafel recipe, how to make falafel