If you’re a fan of lemony chicken piccata, you’re going to absolutely adore this tasty twist on a classic dish. In this recipe, we’re going to use ground chicken to create succulent meatballs that are packed with flavor and coated in a zesty lemony sauce. So, get your apron on, and let’s get cooking!
How To Make Chicken Piccata Meatballs
Preparing the Meatballs
To start, you will need the following ingredients: ground chicken, one egg, Italian seasoning, fresh garlic, fresh parsley, bread crumbs, salt, black pepper, paprika, and extra virgin olive oil.
Begin by cracking one egg into a bowl, and then add in a pinch of salt, a dash of paprika, and a little bit of black pepper. Next, add in some Italian seasoning, fresh garlic, fresh parsley, and a few bread crumbs. Finally, add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, which will help everything come together.
Now, it’s time to form the meatballs. Take a heaping tablespoon of the mixture and roll it into a ball, using some additional bread crumbs to coat the outside. Repeat this process until all of the mixture is used up.
Cooking the Meatballs
Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Once the oil is hot, arrange the meatballs in the pan, making sure that they are all touching the heat. Cook the meatballs for a few minutes on each side until they are golden brown, then remove them from the pan.
Making the Sauce
Add a little bit more extra virgin olive oil to the pan, along with a small amount of ghee or butter. Next, add in some garlic and cook it on low heat. Once the garlic is fragrant, add in some chicken broth or white wine, followed by the juice of two lemons. Turn the heat up to medium-high and add a lot of capers to the pan. Let everything cook briefly until it starts to bubble and the aroma is absolutely heavenly.
Adding the Meatballs to the Sauce
Now, it’s time to add the meatballs back to the pan. Turn the heat down to simmer and toss the meatballs around until they are coated in the sauce. Cover the pan and let the meatballs cook for five to ten minutes until they are fully cooked through.
Serve and Enjoy!
Once the meatballs are cooked through, remove them from the heat and serve them up hot. This delicious dish pairs perfectly with a side of pasta, a crisp green salad, or some freshly baked bread. And if you have any leftovers, they will taste just as delicious the next day.
Required kitchen tools or equipment:
- Mixing bowl
- Whisk or fork
- Non-stick pan
- Tongs or spatula
- Measuring spoons
- Cutting board and knife (for fresh garlic and parsley)
- Citrus juicer (for the lemon juice)
Tips and variations:
- Serve the chicken piccata meatballs over pasta or rice.
- Add some grated parmesan cheese on top for extra flavor.
- For a lighter version, skip the bread crumbs and use ground turkey instead of chicken.
- Add some sliced mushrooms to the sauce for an extra umami flavor.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or lemon wedges for presentation.
Frequently asked questions:
Q: Can I use pre-made meatballs instead of making them from scratch?
A: Yes, you can use pre-made meatballs and still make the sauce according to the recipe.
Q: Can I use a different type of meat instead of ground chicken?
A: Yes, you can use ground turkey or beef instead.
Q: Can I make the sauce ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make the sauce ahead of time and reheat it when you’re ready to serve the meatballs.
Q: Can I use bottled lemon juice instead of fresh lemon juice?
A: Fresh lemon juice is recommended for best flavor, but bottled lemon juice can be used as a substitute.
Q: Can I use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth?
A: Yes, you can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth for a vegetarian version of this recipe.
Chicken piccata meatballs are a delicious and unique twist on a classic dish. By using ground chicken, we are able to create a succulent and flavorful meatball that is coated in a zesty, lemony sauce. So, why not give this recipe a try and impress your family and friends with a tasty and unexpected dinner? Enjoy!Print
These chicken piccata meatballs are a flavorful twist on traditional chicken piccata. The meatballs are made with ground chicken, Italian seasoning, garlic, parsley, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, paprika, and olive oil. They are cooked on the stovetop and then simmered in a lemony sauce with capers and garlic.
1 lb ground chicken
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp butter or ghee
1 cup chicken broth
Juice of 2 lemons
1/4 cup capers
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, egg, Italian seasoning, garlic, parsley, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, paprika, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix until well combined.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop the mixture and form into meatballs. Roll each meatball in the remaining breadcrumbs to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove the meatballs from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the butter or ghee and garlic. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken broth and lemon juice to the pan, and stir to combine. Add the capers and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the meatballs back into the pan and coat with the sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the meatballs are fully cooked.
- Serve the chicken piccata meatballs hot, garnished with additional chopped parsley.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 330
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 780mg
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 129mg
Keywords: chicken piccata, chicken meatballs, meatballs