Delight in the transformative flavors of our Parmesan Garlic Roasted Carrots, a side dish that reimagines the humble carrot into a culinary delight. Infused with the rich aroma of garlic and the savory notes of parmesan, these roasted carrots bridge the gap between health and indulgence seamlessly.
Simplistic in its approach yet innovative in its flavors, this recipe is destined to elevate your culinary repertoire. Let us embark on this gastronomic journey, redefining the boundaries of traditional vegetarian cuisine.
How to Craft Parmesan Garlic Roasted Carrots
Step 1: Select and Prepare the Carrots
Our journey begins with three medium to large-sized carrots. The preliminary step is to peel off their skins using your trusty peeler. We want to transform these carrots into bite-sized slices that are about a quarter-inch thick. Remember to cut them on the bias, meaning diagonally, as it helps them cook more easily and provides a larger surface area to soak in all the wonderful flavors we’re going to infuse.
Step 2: Marinate in Oil and Seasonings
Next, we dive into the process of flavor-infusion. The magic concoction starts with 2 tablespoons of olive oil combined with half a teaspoon each of paprika and onion powder, a teaspoon of Italian seasoning, and half a teaspoon of salt. Now introduce your carrot slices to this glorious oil mix. Toss them around until they’re thoroughly coated, letting them soak up all that delightful seasoning.
Step 3: Preparing the Tray
As we let the flavors penetrate the carrots, let’s prepare a tray using parchment paper to bake or air-fry our carrots. Fold a sheet of parchment paper in half for added thickness and durability. Cut the parchment paper to match the size of your baking tray or air-fryer basket, extending about half an inch more on all sides. Fold up the edges to ensure it can contain the melted butter during the cooking process.
Step 4: The Fragrant Garlic Butter Layer
Time to create a flavor-packed layer of garlic butter for the carrots to rest upon. Mix two tablespoons of soft butter with one to two cloves of fresh, crushed garlic. This butter will cook into the carrots, negating the need for additional buttering post-cooking. Distribute this luscious, fragrant butter over the parchment paper tray, filling your kitchen with an irresistible aroma. Now, lay your seasoned carrots side by side on this aromatic bed, ready to roast.
Step 5: The Cooking Process
For those choosing to bake these beauties in an oven, preheat it to 425 degrees. Bake for 10 minutes before adding some Parmesan cheese. If you’re using an air fryer, set it to 400 degrees and cook for 8 minutes before adding the Parmesan cheese.
Step 6: The Parmesan and Parsley Topping
While the carrots are cooking, we prepare our star co-ingredient, the Parmesan cheese. We need about a third of a cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Freshly grated cheese avoids unnecessary additives and provides a superior texture.
Once the initial cooking period is over, quickly sprinkle the cheese across the carrots, then return them to the oven or air fryer.
For the oven, continue baking for about another 15 minutes, and for the air fryer, let it cook for an additional 3 minutes. This allows the cheese to become delightfully crispy.
As the finishing touch, finely chop a small bunch of fresh parsley for garnishing and an added flavor dimension.
Tips and Variations
The beauty of this recipe is its versatility. For those who prefer a kick in their dishes, consider adding a sprinkle of chili flakes or a dash of cayenne pepper.
For a more robust flavor, replace olive oil with truffle oil or sprinkle in a bit of truffle salt. If you’d like a touch of sweetness, drizzle a bit of honey or maple syrup over the carrots before baking. The possibilities are endless!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use different types of carrots? Yes, you can use any variety of carrot, including rainbow carrots, baby carrots, or even heirloom carrots for this recipe.
2. Can I prepare this dish ahead of time? You can slice and marinate the carrots and prepare the garlic butter ahead of time. However, it’s best to bake or air fry the carrots just before serving to ensure they remain crispy.
3. Can this dish be frozen and reheated? While you can freeze and reheat them, it’s important to note that the texture may change, and they might not be as crispy as when freshly made.
Kitchen Tools/Equipment Needed:
- Bowl for mixing
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet or air fryer basket
- Garlic press
Savor the delectable union of sweet, soft carrots with the robust flavors of garlic, parmesan, and Italian seasonings. These Parmesan Garlic Roasted Carrots are a simple, yet impressive side dish, perfect for elevating any meal.
3 medium to large-sized carrots
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of soft butter
1–2 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese
Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Peel the carrots and slice them diagonally into quarter-inch thick pieces.
- Mix the olive oil, paprika, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and salt in a bowl.
- Toss the carrot slices in the seasoned oil until well coated.
- Prepare a tray using parchment paper and spread the garlic butter on it.
- Lay the seasoned carrots on the buttered tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or air fry at 400 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese over the carrots and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes (oven) or 3 minutes (air fryer).
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Baking / Air Frying
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Sodium: 800 mg
- Fat: 15 grams
- Saturated Fat: 6 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 7 grams
- Carbohydrates: 13 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 5 grams
- Cholesterol: 25 mg