Learn how to make chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter filling, whipped chocolate ganache, and crushed pretzel. A little bit of salty, a little bit of sweet, these cupcakes are heaven for chocolate peanut butter lovers. We’ll start by making our chocolate cupcake batter.
How To Make Chocolate peanut butter pretzel cupcakes:
You’ll need 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda, 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon of salt, then we’ll stir together all of the dry ingredients.
Once that’s combined it’s time to start adding in our wet ingredients, which starts with 3/4 cup of buttermilk, you want to use buttermilk, or you can use regular milk or non-dairy milk by making it into a buttermilk substitute.
Pour that in along with 3/4 cup of hot water, 1/4 cup of vegetable oil, 2 large eggs, and about 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Then grab a hand mixer and mix this all together until just combined, and of course, make sure you stop and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl so everything gets mixed in.
Then you’ll want to preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line a muffin tin with little paper cups.
Then you’ll want to fill each cup about 2/3 of the way full. This recipe makes between 18 and 24 cupcakes, so you can either use two pans or just cook them in batches.
Next, we’re gonna bake these in the 325-degree oven for 20 to 22 minutes. Once they’re done baking, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
While those are cooling we can make our peanut butter filling and whipped chocolate ganache.
For the ganache, you’ll need 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips, and put those into the bottom of a mixing bowl.
Then you’ll pour 1 cup of heavy cream over the top of it.
You want that cream to be hot, so you can simmer it on the stove or heat it in the microwave.
Let it sit for just 2 to 3 minutes. The hot cream will start to melt the chocolate chips.
Then you’ll want to grab a rubber spatula and stir this until the cream and the chocolate have combined, and all of those chocolate chips are melted.
Once this mixture is nice and smooth you need to let it sit on the counter until it reaches room temperature, which will be about one hour.
Luckily I already have one that’s been sitting. Then grab your hand mixer and you’re gonna beat this until it’s light and fluffy.
Which takes several minutes. It should end up like a really thick whipped cream.
Then you’ll want to transfer this all to a piping bag for frosting.
The last step is our peanut butter filling, which is super simple with just 3 ingredients starting with 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter, 1/4 cup of melted butter, and 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, and we’ll whip this all together.
We’re gonna transfer all of this to a piping bag that’s fit with a large open tip.
The design doesn’t matter so much because we’re not going to see it, but you do need a wide opening to squeeze this into the cupcakes.
You want to insert the tip into the cupcake and give it a gentle squeeze, and squeeze out just a little bit of that peanut butter filling, then pipe on some of that whipped chocolate ganache to cover that center hole.
Then I like to give it a salty finish by breaking up a pretzel and sprinkling that on top.
And then you have yourself one of the most delicious cupcakes of all time.
With that peanut butter in the middle, you are going to love it.Print
Rich chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting, chocolate ganache, and creamy peanut butter. These Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Cupcakes are out of this world!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Peanut Butter Cream Filling
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Whipped Chocolate Ganache
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 34 pretzels (crushed)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Recipe makes 24 cupcakes so you may have to cook it in batches unless you have two muffin tins.
- Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer using a low speed until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat on a medium speed until smooth. This should take just a couple of minutes. Scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl to make sure everything got mixed in.
- Fill each cupcake 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until the cupcakes meet the toothpick test (stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean). Remove from tins and cool completely.
- Make the peanut butter cream filling by combining the peanut butter, melted butter, and powdered sugar in a bowl using a hand mixer. Transfer the filling to a pastry bag with a large open tip. Insert the tip into the top of the cooled cupcakes and squeeze about 1 teaspoon of filling into the cupcake. If you inject too much it may split the cake.
- Make the frosting by heating the heavy cream in a small saucepan until it just begins to simmer. Pour over the chocolate chips. The heat of the cream will melt the chocolate chips. Let it stand for a couple minutes before stirring, then stir until smooth. Let it cool to room temperature. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip it until it is firm enough to hold a shape. Pipe it onto the cooled and stuffed cupcakes in whatever fashion you think is cute. I just use a plain swirl. Top with crushed pretzel.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 294
Keywords: Chocolate Cupcakes, chocolate peanut butter eggs, Pretzels