6-Ingredient Greek Salad: Ultimate Flavor & Meal Prep Tips
Are you ready for one of the best healthy salad recipes? And, side note, one of my personal favorites?
It’s a Greek Salad and with only 6 ingredients plus one super-flavorful dressing, it’s really hard to beat this classic salad. There’s just something so wonderful about the simplicity of it.
In this article, we’ll give you a few tips for making and meal prepping the best Greek Salad and show you how to turn this salad that’s often an appetizer or a side salad into a heartier full meal.
How To Make Greek Salad
The 6 Key Ingredients for a Classic Greek Salad
- Cucumber: Use an English cucumber for a thinner skin. Slice it lengthwise first, then across. Add it to a large mixing bowl.
- Bell Pepper: Opt for a green bell pepper. Slice the top and bottom off, remove the seeds, slice into strips, and then across for a fairly chunky dice. Add the bell pepper to your mixing bowl.
- Grape Tomatoes: Use one pint of grape tomatoes and slice them in half. Add them to the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Red Onion: Use half of a medium red onion. Cut it into thin wedges, sliced top to bottom through the root end. Gently break apart the red onion pieces before adding to the bowl.
- Pitted Kalamata Olives: You’ll need half a cup of pitted Kalamata olives. Slice them in half or keep them whole, depending on your preference.
- Feta Cheese: Buy a high-quality Greek feta cheese that’s cut into blocks. Use about 4 ounces of feta, either sliced into cubes or crumbled into large chunks.
The Flavorful Dressing: Greek Salad Dressing Vinaigrette
To make the dressing, add the following ingredients to a bowl:
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
While whisking the ingredients together, drizzle in 1/2 cup of olive oil until it’s emulsified.
Putting It All Together
Gently stir the salad ingredients with a drizzle of the dressing. If serving for a family or dinner party, transfer it to a prettier bowl and leave the remaining dressing on the side.
Meal Prepping Your Greek Salad
This salad is perfect for meal prep because it’s durable. To enhance the salad with more protein, try these two options:
- Add Chicken: Bake herb-baked chicken breast at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes. Let it rest for a few minutes and slice it into strips or chunks. Store the chicken in a separate container in the fridge and add to individual portions of the salad when desired.
- Add Beans (Vegetarian Option): Add canned beans (garbanzo beans or white beans) to the salad for a vegetarian protein option. Drain and rinse the beans well, and store them separately in the fridge. Add beans to individual portions of the salad when desired.
You can also add avocado to both versions for extra healthy fats.
No matter how you serve this Greek Salad, it is delicious and a recipe you should definitely have on repeat during summer.
Tips and Variations:
- To make the salad heartier, add grilled or baked chicken breast or protein-rich beans like garbanzo or white beans.
- Add diced avocado for a boost of healthy fats and creaminess.
- Use different colors of bell peppers for added visual appeal.
- For a more traditional dressing, simply drizzle high-quality olive oil and red wine vinegar over the salad.
- Serve with crusty bread or pita for a more filling meal.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I use a different type of cucumber? Yes, you can use any type of cucumber you like, but English cucumbers have a thinner skin, which is ideal for this salad.
- Can I use cherry tomatoes instead of grape tomatoes? Yes, cherry tomatoes can be used as a substitute for grape tomatoes.
- How long does this salad last in the refrigerator? The salad can last up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Keep the dressing separate and add just before serving to maintain freshness.
- Can I use a different type of cheese instead of feta? Feta is the traditional cheese used in Greek salads, but you can try other options like goat cheese or mozzarella if you prefer.
- Can I use pre-crumbled feta cheese? While pre-crumbled feta cheese can be used, it’s best to use a block of high-quality Greek feta cheese for the best flavor and texture.
Required Kitchen Tools and Equipment:
- Large mixing bowl
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Small bowl for dressing
- Food scraper (optional)
- Measuring cups and spoons
Share this recipe with your family and friends for a little healthy inspiration.Print
GREEK SALAD RECIPE
- Total Time: 15 minutes (35-40 minutes if adding chicken)
This healthy and refreshing Greek Salad recipe is perfect for the summer season. With its simple and fresh ingredients, this salad can be enjoyed as a light appetizer or transformed into a heartier meal by adding chicken or beans. It’s ideal for meal prep and stays fresh in the refrigerator.
1 English cucumber
1 green bell pepper
1 pint grape tomatoes
1/2 medium red onion
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
4 ounces high-quality Greek feta cheese
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
Optional: Herb-baked chicken breast, avocado, canned beans (garbanzo or white beans)
- Chop cucumber, bell pepper, tomatoes, and red onion into large, chunky pieces.
- Halve the Kalamata olives and cut the feta cheese into cubes or large chunks.
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together red wine vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, dried oregano, kosher salt, and black pepper. Gradually drizzle in olive oil while whisking to emulsify the dressing.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss lightly.
- If adding chicken, preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Drizzle chicken breasts with olive oil and rub on both sides. Season chicken with a combination of basil, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper (and optionally, garlic powder). Bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts. Remove from the oven, let rest for a few minutes, then slice into strips or chunks.
- Serve salad as is, or add optional baked chicken, avocado, or beans for a heartier meal.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes (20-25 minutes if adding chicken)
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chopping and Mixing
- Cuisine: Greek
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 730mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 20mg