Green chicken tortilla soup is a perfect dish for a chilly evening or a gathering with friends. It is flavorful, easy to make, and can be served in a variety of ways.
In this article, we will show you how to make this super easy and delicious green chicken tortilla soup.
We will cover all the ingredients and steps required to make this mouthwatering dish.
How to make a delicious green chicken tortilla soup
Boiling the chicken
The first step is to bring two quarts of water to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil, add salt, half an onion, five garlic cloves, two bay leaves, and four chicken breasts with ribs.
Allow it to come to a boil again and then remove all the foam from the top.
Adding the seasonings
After removing the foam, add one tablespoon of Adobo seasoning and a handful of cilantro to the broth.
Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover it, and let it cook for about 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, remove the chicken, cilantro, onion, and garlic cloves from the broth.
Adding the tomatillos and chilies
Next, add 12 small tomatillos and three Chile Serranos or jalapenos to the broth. Allow them to cook for about three to five minutes.
After three minutes, transfer the tomatillos and chilies to a blender cup and get one cup of the broth.
Making the sauce
In the blender cup, add five roasted and clean green peppers, 1/4 of an onion, four garlic cloves, one tablespoon of pumpkin seeds, one teaspoon of coriander seeds, one teaspoon of peppercorn, one teaspoon of oregano, one teaspoon of ground cumin, one teaspoon of garlic salt, along with a handful of cilantro and the chicken broth. Blend the mixture until it becomes a smooth sauce.
Shredding the chicken and making the tortilla strips
After making the sauce, shred the chicken and cut 20 corn tortillas into small strips.
Cut them into thin strips and then cut them in half. Repeat the process with all the tortillas.
Frying the tortilla strips
Add oil to a frying pan and heat it up. Once hot, fry the tortilla strips until they are golden brown. Remove them from the oil and drain as much oil as possible. Sprinkle them with a little bit of salt.
Putting it all together
Return the broth to medium heat and add the sauce. Allow it to come to a simmer. Taste for salt and see if you need to add more.
Then add the chicken and a can of corn. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and allow it to come to a simmer.
Once the soup is ready, add the juice of one lime. Now you can get ready to serve.
You can add the tortilla strips to the soup or top them with cheese, pico de gallo, avocado, and sour cream.
Required Kitchen Tools and Equipment:
- Large pot
- Frying pan
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons and cups
Tips and Variations:
- Add diced avocado or a dollop of sour cream for a creamy finish.
- For a vegetarian option, replace chicken with vegetable broth and skip the chicken in the recipe.
- If you don’t have access to tomatillos, substitute them with green tomatoes.
- To save time, use store-bought tortilla chips instead of making them at home.
- Adjust the spiciness of the soup by using fewer or more chili peppers.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make the soup and the chicken ahead of time and assemble everything just before serving.
Q: Can I freeze the soup?
A: Yes, you can freeze the soup for up to 3 months. Make sure to thaw it completely before reheating it.
Q: What can I substitute for Adobo seasoning?
A: You can substitute it with a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin
Green chicken tortilla soup is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for a chilly evening or a gathering with friends. With this recipe, you can make a mouthwatering soup that is sure to be a hit with everyone. Try it out and see for yourself how easy and delicious it is.Print
This recipe is for a super easy and delicious green chicken tortilla soup that is perfect for any time of year. The soup is made with chicken, tomatillos, green peppers, cilantro, and a variety of spices. It is topped with fried tortilla strips, Mexican cheese, pico de gallo, and sour cream.
4 chicken breasts with ribs
2 quarts of water
5 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon Adobo seasoning
Handful of cilantro
12 small tomatillos
3 Chile Serranos or jalapenos
5 roasted and clean green peppers
1/4 of an onion
4 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon peppercorn
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 can of corn
20 corn tortillas
Oil for frying
Lime juice to taste
Mexican cheese to taste
Pico de gallo with avocado to taste
Sour cream to taste
- In a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add 1/2 onion, 5 garlic cloves, 2 bay leaves, and 4 chicken breasts with ribs. Add salt to taste.
- Once the water comes to a boil, remove the foam from the top. Add 1 tablespoon of Adobo seasoning and a handful of cilantro. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for about 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove the chicken, cilantro, onion, and garlic cloves from the pot.
- To the remaining broth, add 12 small tomatillos and 3 Chile Serranos or jalapenos. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer the tomatillos and Chiles to a blender cup with 1 cup of the broth. In the same blender cup, add 5 roasted and clean green peppers, 1/4 of an onion, 4 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds, 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds, 1 teaspoon of peppercorn, 1 teaspoon of oregano, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1 teaspoon of garlic salt, and a handful of cilantro. Blend until smooth.
- Shred the chicken and set it aside.
- Cut 20 corn tortillas into small strips. In a frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. Fry the tortilla strips until golden brown. Remove from oil, drain as much oil as possible, sprinkle with salt, and repeat for the remaining tortilla strips.
- Return the pot with the broth to medium heat. Add the blended sauce, and a little bit of water if needed. Allow it to come to a simmer.
- Once it comes to a simmer, add the shredded chicken and 1 can of corn. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, and allow it to come to a simmer.
- Add the juice of 1 lime, mix, and taste for salt.
- Serve the soup with the tortilla strips on top, Mexican cheese, pico de gallo with avocado, and sour cream.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boiling, Blending, Frying
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 365
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 1238mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 38g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
Keywords: Easy green chicken tortilla soup recipe