Mastering Keto Chicken Tenders: Secret Trick & Delicious Recipe
Dive into a comprehensive guide to prepare irresistibly delicious Keto chicken tenders. This tutorial will unveil clever tricks and techniques, taking you from tendon removal to air frying, ultimately creating a flavorful dish that will satisfy your taste buds while respecting your dietary goals.
Making Perfect Keto Chicken Tenders: An In-Depth Look
Removing the Pesky Tendon
Chicken tenders you find in the store often have a little tendon – a tough, white piece that can be rather annoying. Here’s an easy trick to rid your chicken of this pesky tendon.
To extract this, you need a simple paper towel. Hold on to the protruding tendon with the paper towel. Once you have a good grip, insert a fork into the chicken, in between where the tendon is placed. Now, pull the chicken tendon up, while pushing the fork down with the tender. This process easily extracts the tendon, while also splitting the chicken a bit, facilitating more breading to reach the crevices, thereby promoting quicker cooking.
Preparation of Chicken Tenders
Having prepped 8 chicken tenders using the above method, we now move to setting up the dredging station.
Crafting a Flavorful Breading Mixture
For a scrumptious breading, we need a half cup each of almond flour and Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon each of onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, mustard powder and dried thyme, and a half teaspoon of black pepper. Combine these ingredients in a shallow bowl.
This breading is designed to imbue your chicken with an incredible amount of flavor. Particularly, the Parmesan cheese is essential as it helps develop a crust, and makes everything adhere together, amplifying the flavor exponentially.
Setting Up an Egg Wash
Next, we prepare an egg wash using 2 beaten eggs mixed with 2 tablespoons of water.
The Dredging Process
The dredging process is crucial in making chicken tenders. Coating the chicken evenly in the egg wash ensures proper adhesion of the breading. Following this, we take each chicken piece and dredge it in the almond flour and Parmesan mixture before placing it onto an air fryer tray lined with foil.
Getting Ready for Air Frying
Once all the chicken tenders are breaded and on the tray, we lightly spray them with oil to get a nice, crispy top. The chicken tenders are then ready for air frying.
Air Frying the Chicken Tenders
The ideal cooking temperature for these chicken tenders is 425 degrees Fahrenheit. If your air fryer doesn’t reach this temperature, take it up to the highest it can go, up to 425 degrees. Bake or air fry the chicken for 15 minutes, remembering to flip halfway through.
The Final Result
When done right, the chicken tenders that come out of the air fryer should look flawless. They would typically require 7 minutes on the first side and 3 minutes on the other side. The result is tantalizing, juicy chicken tenders that are not just keto-friendly but incredibly delicious too.
Tips and Variations for the Recipe
- Adding Spices: Feel free to experiment with different spices in your breading mixture to customize the flavor profile. Consider using paprika, cayenne pepper, or an Italian seasoning blend.
- Cheese Variations: Try using different types of hard, grated cheeses in the breading for a change. Romano or Asiago could make great alternatives to Parmesan.
- Non-Dairy Alternative: For a non-dairy option, substitute the Parmesan with nutritional yeast. It will still provide a cheesy flavor and help with browning.
- Gluten-Free: If you’re looking for a gluten-free version of this recipe, it’s already there! This recipe uses almond flour, making it naturally gluten-free.
- Deep-Frying: If you don’t have an air fryer, you can also deep fry these chicken tenders. Keep in mind, this will increase the calorie content.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use other cuts of chicken?
Yes, you can use chicken breast or thigh meat. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of the cut.
- Can I make these tenders ahead of time?
You can prepare the chicken tenders and place them in the fridge before cooking. However, it’s best to cook them fresh to ensure a crispy coating.
- Can I store leftover chicken tenders?
Absolutely. Store leftover chicken tenders in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat them in the air fryer or oven to maintain their crispiness.
- Can I use regular flour instead of almond flour?
Yes, you can use regular flour, but this would not be a keto-friendly or gluten-free option.
- Can I use this recipe for a full-sized chicken?
You can certainly use this recipe for a full-sized chicken, but remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- What dipping sauces work well with these chicken tenders?
These keto chicken tenders pair well with a variety of dipping sauces. You can try sugar-free ketchup, BBQ sauce, ranch dressing, or even a spicy mayo for a bit of a kick. Just be mindful of the carb content if you’re following a strict keto diet.
Kitchen Tools or Equipment Required
- Paper Towel
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Shallow Bowl or Plate for Dredging
- Air Fryer (or Air Fryer Oven)
- Air Fryer Tray
- Cooking Spray
- Tongs for Flipping
The Delicious Keto Chicken Tenders
We hope you have enjoyed this detailed walkthrough of preparing keto chicken tenders. This simple yet flavorful recipe can be a game-changer for your low-carb menu.
So, embark on this exciting cooking adventure, and relish the delightful outcome. Until the next culinary exploration, take care and happy cooking!Print
Keto Chicken Tenders – Air Fryer or Oven!
- Total Time: 30 minutes
Enjoy a low-carb twist on a classic comfort food with these delicious keto chicken tenders. The tenders are breaded with a flavorful mix of almond flour and Parmesan cheese, then air-fried to perfection for a satisfying crunch without the guilt. Let’s get started!
8 chicken tenders
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons water
Oil spray for cooking
- Start by preparing your chicken tenders. Using a paper towel, grab the tendon that is usually protruding from the chicken tender. Insert a fork in between the tendon and the meat, and pull the tendon upwards while pushing the fork downwards. This will remove the tendon easily.
- Prepare the dredging station: Combine almond flour, Parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, black pepper, mustard powder, and dried thyme in a shallow bowl. Stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the beaten eggs and water.
- Coat the chicken tenders evenly in the egg mixture, then dredge them in the almond flour and Parmesan mixture.
- Place the breaded chicken tenders on an air fryer tray lined with oiled foil.
- Spray the chicken tenders with oil spray. This will help them become crispy.
- Air fry the chicken tenders at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 minutes, then flip them and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Serve the crispy, flavorful chicken tenders hot.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Air Frying
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 chicken tenders
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 700mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 30g
- Cholesterol: 95mg