Roasted Cauliflower With Za’atar
If you’ve never had za’atar before, you’re in for a treat! Za’atar is a Middle Eastern with dried herbs, sumac, and sesame seeds. It gives this roasted cauliflower the most marvelous flavor.
When we serve it, we’ll sprinkle the florets with fresh lemon juice and parsley, utterly delicious.
How To Make Roasted Cauliflower with Za’atar and Lemon:
Let’s make it! With a small paring knife, cut the cauliflower florets off the center stem. Pull the smaller florets apart, making sure to leave them whole. For larger florets, cut the stem through the center in half and then pull apart.
Skin the garlic and cut each clove in half lengthwise. Place the cauliflower in a non-stick roasting pan. Add the garlic. Drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and the black pepper.
Now toss well with your hands, until the ingredients are well coated with the oil, and then spread in one layer.
Now cover tightly with foil.
Now remove the foil, and be very careful not to burn yourself on the steam that will escape.
The cauliflower is still a little bit crunchy, which is exactly what we want.
So now toss well again, spread in one layer, and return to the oven, uncovered, and bake for another 10 minutes.
Now sprinkle with the za’atar, toss well again, our cauliflower has got a lovely golden color. Now spread in one layer again. The reason for adding the za’atar at the end is that if you add it in the beginning, it will overcook and lose its flavor.
We only want it to roast for a few minutes. And we are done!
Transfer the cauliflower to a serving bowl, squeeze the lemon juice over the florets, and sprinkle with the parsley.
This roasted cauliflower with za’atar makes a fantastic side dish of course, but I often serve it as a tapa or hors d’oeuvre.Print
Roasted cauliflower with za’atar and lemon
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
This super simple Roasted cauliflower with za’atar and lemon are beautifully roasted, tender and insanely flavorful! Vegan, Paleo, gluten-free side dish!
- 1 medium cauliflower (about 2 1/2 lbs) (1.1 kg) – florets cut into 2” pieces
- 8 large garlic cloves – peeled and halved
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons za’atar
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 475ºF (245ºC).
- Place the cauliflower and garlic in a non-stick roasting pan large enough to hold the ingredients in a single layer.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Toss well with your hands, spread in an even layer, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake for 12 minutes until tender but still crunchy.
- Remove from oven and toss.
- Return to oven, uncovered, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven again and sprinkle with the za’atar.
- Toss well and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the cauliflower is golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or platter, squeeze the lemon juice over the florets, and sprinkle with the parsley.
- Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 763
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 1149
- Fat: 63
- Saturated Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 41
- Fiber: 16
- Protein: 14
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Roasted cauliflower, Roasted cauliflower recipe