It’s a sure thing that almost most of us had the classic mashed potato dish at least once in their life right, and it’s one excellent side dish to have in your table for any meals or family gatherings…etc.
But what about adding a better touch to it and make this famous side dish with sweet potato, not well known like the regular one, but yet it tastes surprisingly super good.
Are Sweet Potatoes Healthy For You?
Usually, most of the things that start with sweet may indicate or make you worried about its health benefits, well, not, in this case, the sweet potato is known to be very healthy and very nutrient to the body.
The sweet potato contains loads of vitamins and minerals that some of them acts like an antioxidant and have anti-inflammatory properties.
They are also known to have a lower glycemic index than the white potatoes, which means they are less likely to cause any blood sugar problem.
So if you been wondering if the sweet potatoes are healthy and good for you, then the answer, my friend is crystal clear it’s a big YEEEES.
How to make sweet potato mash?
Here we go, how to make our fantastic side dish, well for this you going to need a sweet potato (surprise).
- To start, you have two ways to cook your sweet potato, either roasted or boiled. The choice is yours. Just keep in mind that if you are looking for a healthier way to prepare your potatoes it would be better to boil them up, but if you look for a higher taste the roasted one is the real deal.
- Once the potatoes are well cooked, it’s time for the next step which will put you again facing two options, and the first one is to peel the potato or leave the peel on if you are into the chunkier mash.
- If you boiled the potatoes, make sure to drain them good.
- In a big pot place all of your potatoes and bring a potato masher and start to mash everything until you get that smooth mash
- You can add milk or butter, depending on your taste.
- Add some seasoning Salt and pepper.
- Place in a plate, and it’s ready to serve.
What Is the Difference between Sweet Potatoes and Yams?
A lot of people gets confused by the two nomination YAMS and SWEET POTATOES, it’s true that both of them are underground tuber vegetables, yet they are very different.
The first thing you should know is the origin, the yams originally come from Africa and Asia, which makes most of the yams we buy from the grocery stores actually just sweet potatoes.
On the other hand, the sweet potatoes come with firmer skin and might come in different colors orange, white, red or purple.
More Easy Dinner Recipes You’ll Love:
What is the best way to mash sweet potatoes?
The best way to mash your sweet potatoes depends on how you want the texture of the mash, for a bit of crunchy mash use the regular potato masher, but for a super smooth mash, it’s better to use a food processor.
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE:Print
- 2 kg sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese, optional
- 1/4 cup milk if desired
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley optional to garnish
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into cubes.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Season with 3 teaspoons salt and bring to a boil, reduce heat down to medium-low and allow to simmer until fork tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- Drain cooked potatoes, add in the butter, garlic, remaining salt and parmesan.
- Mash with a potato masher until smooth, adding milk if desired for a more fluid/lighter mash.
- Garnish with parsley, serve.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 250
Keywords: mashed sweet potatoes
HUNGRY FOR MORE?
Let Me Know In The Comments If You Enjoyed them.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy here.