Banana cupcakes are an easy and tasty treat that everyone will love. These moist and flavorful cupcakes are perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a birthday party, a family get-together, or just a special treat for yourself.
In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to create these delightfully delicious banana cupcakes. So let’s get started!
How to Make Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Preparing the Bananas
The first step in making these banana cupcakes is to prepare the bananas. You’ll need two to three large bananas, which should be blackened and soft. If your bananas are not ripe enough, you can still use them. Preheat your oven to 350°F and place the bananas on a baking sheet. Bake them for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are blackened and soft. Once they’re done, set them aside to cool for a bit.
Mixing the Dry Ingredients While the bananas are cooling, mix the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. You’ll need two cups (240 grams) of all-purpose flour, half a teaspoon of salt, one teaspoon of baking soda, and one teaspoon of cinnamon. Whisk the dry ingredients together until they are well combined.
Preparing the Butter and Sugar Mixture
In a large bowl, add half a cup (113 grams) of room temperature butter, half a cup of granulated sugar (100 grams), and half a cup of light brown sugar (110 grams). Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to mix the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy, which should take about three minutes on medium speed.
Adding the Eggs, Sour Cream, and Bananas Once the butter and sugar mixture is ready, add two eggs to the bowl, one at a time, mixing on medium speed after each addition. Then add a quarter cup of sour cream and one and a quarter cups (328 grams) of mashed bananas. Mix everything together until it’s well combined.
Mixing the Dry and Wet Ingredients In three batches, add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, alternating with half a cup of buttermilk. Mix everything together until the flour is almost fully incorporated, but don’t overmix. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl and mix in any remaining flour.
Baking the Cupcakes Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with paper liners. Scoop a quarter cup of batter into each well, filling them about three-quarters of the way. You should get about 18 cupcakes from this recipe, but the amount may vary depending on the size of your muffin tin and the amount of banana you use. Bake the cupcakes for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of a cupcake. Let them cool completely before frosting.
Making the Cream Cheese Frosting
To make the cream cheese frosting, mix together eight ounces (226 grams) of room temperature cream cheese, half a cup (113 grams) of room temperature unsalted butter, one teaspoon of vanilla extract, and two and a half cups (300 grams) of powdered sugar. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to beat everything together until it’s smooth and creamy.
Frosting the Cupcakes Once the cupcakes are cooled, use a piping bag or spatula to frost them with the cream cheese frosting. You can also add a slice of fresh banana on top of each cupcake for an extra touch of sweetness and presentation.
Banana cupcakes are a tasty treat that’s easy to make and perfect for any occasion. With this recipe, you’ll be able to create moist and flavorful cupcakes that everyone will love. So what are you waiting for? Grab some bananas and start baking!Print
Indulge in the scrumptious goodness of banana cupcakes with cream cheese frosting! Learn how to make them with this easy and delicious recipe.
For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened (113g)
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar (110g)
- ½ cup sugar (100g)
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ¼ cup sour cream at room temperature (60g)
- 1¼ cups mashed ripe bananas 2 to 3 large bananas (328g)
- ½ cup whole buttermilk at room temperature (120mL)
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (226g)
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened (113g)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar (360g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Making the Cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Begin by baking your bananas. Place them on a baking sheet and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until they are blackened and soft.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. This should take about three minutes on medium speed with a hand mixer or stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Mash the bananas with a knife and squeeze them into a measuring cup. You’ll need 1 1/4 cups (328 grams) of mashed banana. Make sure they are cool before adding them to the mixture.
- Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture one at a time, mixing on medium speed. Allow the first egg to incorporate before adding the second.
- Add the sour cream and mashed banana and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with half a cup of buttermilk. Mix until the flour has almost disappeared.
- Scoop the batter into a muffin tin, filling each well about three-quarters of the way. You should get about 18 cupcakes from this recipe.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool before frosting.
Making the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese and butter until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, mixing until combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and cinnamon, mixing until combined.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, pipe or spread the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Enjoy your delicious banana cupcakes!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 18 servings
- Calories: 340kcal
- Sugar: 34g
- Sodium: 200mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
Keywords: Banana Cupcakes