This soup is easy to make, super flavorful and total comfort food.
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup:
Start by heating 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot.
Then you’ll add in 1 white diced onion and 1 diced red bell pepper.
and we’re going to saute these over medium-high heat Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion and bell pepper just start to get soft.
Then we’ll add in 5 cloves of minced garlic, 2 teaspoons of chili powder 1 teaspoon of paprika and 1 teaspoon of ground cumin And we’ll toast this for about 60 seconds.
Then we’re going to pour in 4 cups of chicken broth.
Then we’re going to add in 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts and bring this to a boil.
Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer until the chicken is cooked through which will take about 15 to 20 minutes.
Once that chicken is cooked through you’re going to remove it from the pot Then you should be able to easily shred it with some forks.
Then we’ll return all of the shredded chicken to the pot Then it doesn’t take much to finish it off.
We’ll pour in one 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes and I like to use fire-roasted for this along with 15 ounces of tomato sauce or pasta which is just a pureed tomato One 15-ounce can of drained black beans and one 7-ounce can of undrained diced green chiles.
Then add in 1 1/2 cups of either frozen or canned corn.
We’ll increase the heat to medium-high and bring this to a simmer and let it simmer for about 5 minutes until that corn and the rest of the stuff we added is heated through.
Now just before serving, we’re going to add in 1/2 cup of freshly chopped cilantro and 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice.
Then we’ll just season to taste and stir it. And then your soup is ready to eat.
Tortilla soup is usually served up with sour cream, some diced avocado, some shredded Monterey jack cheese, and tortilla strips.
You can use the store-bought kind or just use tortilla chips or you can make your own and I’m going to show you how to do that real quick because it’s super easy.
How To Make Tortilla Chips:
Pour about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil into a skillet and get it heating over medium-high heat Give it a second to heat up because you want that oil to be nice and hot and shimmering.
Then you’ll add in one corn or you can do it with flour tortillas Give it about 30 seconds to fry and then flip it and cook it on the other side until it’s nice and crispy.
Add more oil as necessary to fry up as many as you want Then once it is crispy on both sides.
we’ll remove it from the skillet and while it’s still warm you’ll cut it into strips and you can use just a regular knife or even a pizza cutter.
Then we are ready to dish up our soup and eat!Print
This Chicken Tortilla Soup is easy to make in just 30 minutes with simple ingredients. it's delicious, healthy! Perfect for busy chilly evenings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion (diced)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce ((passata))
- 15 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can black beans
- 7 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn ((or use canned))
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 cups tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- 2 medium avocados (diced)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and pepper and fry for 5 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and bell pepper and toast for 60 seconds.
- Pour the chicken broth, add the chicken breast and cook. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the chicken is cooked for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take the cooked chicken out of the soup, crumble it with a fork and put it back in the pan.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, black beans, green peppers, and corn. Return soup to a simmer and let simmer 5 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course, Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 516
Keywords: Chicken Tortilla Soup