The Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies require just six ingredients to make, which makes them super easy, and they’re also super delicious!
How To Make Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
To start, you’ll need 1 cup of softened butter in a mixing bowl and 2/3 of a cup of powdered sugar, and we’ll mix all using a hand mixer.
It’ll be clumpy at first, but you want to continue mixing for a good 60 to 90 seconds until it’s smooth and creamy. Before you know it, it’ll come together smoothly.
Then we’ll add in just 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and beat this in real quick before we add in 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
And we want to mix it in until it’s combined and it’ll be sweet and crumbly.
Shortbread cookie dough is a little bit weird. It’s very crumbly, and it doesn’t look like normal cookie dough.
Instead, it looks super dry and crumbly, but if you gather some up and squeeze it together, you should be able to press it into a dough.
Then you can add in 3/4 cup of mini chocolate chips. They must be mini, and then since they’re so small, we can give these a quick stir or a mix to disperse them throughout the dough.
Next, grab a gallon-sized resealable plastic bag, and you want to transfer all of your shortbread dough to this plastic bag. Then, you’ll want to seal the bag and remove any excess air.
Then place the bag on a flat surface like a cutting board. That’ll make it easier to transfer and spread it all out.
Give it a shake so that it’s in a fairly even layer, then grab a rolling pin and gently press the dough down.
Just like when you pinched it in your fingers, the dough will suddenly come together and not look so crumbly. Continue to roll it until it’s an even thickness throughout the bag.
Then we’re going to slide it into the fridge and let it chill for one to two hours.
Now once it’s chilled, we’re going to cut away the bag so that you have just one kind of rectangle of cookie dough.
Then we’ll go ahead and slice these into our cookies, and you can do any shape that you want. I like to do rectangles, so I cut in fours the long way.
Then transfer each cut piece to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Now there’s no spreading with the cookie, but I still leave just a little bit of space in between each one.
Then we’re going to bake these in a 325-degree oven for 18 minutes.
After 18 minutes, remove the cookies from the oven and place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
Now the shortbread cookies can be eaten plain, but I like to dip mine in chocolate so you’ll need 8 ounces of chocolate melting wafers, and then we’ll melt these in the microwave.
You want this to be nice and melty. You can use chocolate chips or other options, but these melting wafers melt so beautifully.
Then you take each cooled cookie and dip it in that chocolate. I do the ends and then place it back on the parchment paper so the chocolate can harden.
Now, of course, you don’t have to dip them in chocolate, but I love that extra chocolate bite.
Once they’re cooled and the chocolate is hardened, you are ready to eat!
These will stay good for about three to four days if you don’t eat them all first!
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies Recipe is buttery. It's so rich and tasty. melt in your mouth shortbread combined with a little bit of chocolate!
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 8 oz melting chocolate wafers
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add in vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add in flour and mix just until flour disappears. Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Transfer dough to a gallon-sized resealable plastic bag, or place between two layers of plastic wrap. Roll until 1/4 inch thick. Refrigerate on a flat surface until firm, about 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove dough from plastic and use a butter knife to cut into equal-sized squares or rectangles. Transfer cut pieces to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 18-20 minutes, until edges are just lightly kissed with brown.
- Melt dipping chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl by microwaving on high for 30 seconds at a time, stirring between. Dip cookies in the chocolate covering 1/3 or 1/2 of the cookie and transfer to parchment paper to harden.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 234
Keywords: chocolate chip pumpkin muffins, Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookie Sticks