Hi guys, today we are making our version of homemade coleslaw. So we love this recipe, and it is really simple to make. There are a few ingredients that come together for the dressing.
We use our homemade mayonnaise as the base, but you can use store-bought. If you make our version of mayonnaise, it gives it that little extra something.
It’s pretty good.
As well as mayo, we add some mustard, we add a little vinegar, some salt, pepper, and it’s delicious.
We don’t add sugar, and you could if you wanted to, but we find the vegetables are sweet enough without it.
We use two different colours of cabbage to give it a little pop.
It’s beautiful this way, but you could, of course, use one head — you could use just red or purple cabbage or use white cabbage.
It is entirely up to you. Let’s make it. Let’s do it!
How To Make Homemade Coleslaw Recipe:
Start by prepping all the vegetables. For the cabbage, we need to remove the hardcore.
To do this, cut the cabbage into quarters then cut at an angle to remove it. Then shred the cabbage as thinly as you like.
We love adding carrots to our coleslaw; we peel and grate them. And last, but not least, we throw in a reasonable amount of fresh parsley. Just chop it small.
For the dressing, start with mayonnaise — I know it looks like a lot, but we are making a lot of coleslaw here.
To the mayonnaise, add tangy Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, some celery seeds, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
Stir everything together then add about two-thirds of the dressing to the shredded vegetables.
If, after tossing them together, the coleslaw seems dry, add a few more spoonfuls of dressing.
If you have dressing left, use it as a spread for sandwiches or as a dip for vegetables. And that’s it, flavorful coleslaw that everyone will love.
Enjoy this now or make up to a day in advance.
What to serve with ColeSlaw:Print
The Best Creamy Coleslaw With Homemade Dressing Is Delicious And Refreshing.
It’s A Perfect Side For Many Different Dishes.
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium cabbage (about 2 pounds), outer leaves removed
- 1 cup (170 grams) mayonnaise, try our homemade mayonnaise recipe
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or more to taste
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard or coarse ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- Mince the cabbage and cut into pieces. Halve each quarter diagonally and grind finely. Put the shredded cabbage in a very large bowl (6 to 8 cups).
- Add grated carrots and parsley to the cabbage and mix.
- In another bowl mix mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, celery seeds, salt and pepper. Taste the acid and the spice and then adjust to your taste. Pour two-thirds of the dressing over the cabbage and carrot and mix well. (Clean hands are the fastest tool).
- If the coleslaw looks dry, add a little more vinaigrette. Eat immediately or refrigerate for about an hour to mix the flavors and soften the cabbage.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 183
Keywords: COLESLAW RECIPE, Easy Cole Slaw