As the winter snowstorm rages on outside, there is nothing more comforting than a warm bowl of hearty stew. This Instant Pot Chicken Stew recipe is just the thing to warm you up and keep you satisfied. With tender chicken, carrots, celery, potatoes, and a little bit of kale for added nutrition, this stew is not only delicious but also healthy.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Stew recipe
Preparing the Ingredients
To start, peel and chop all of the ingredients as indicated above. Once everything is chopped and ready to go, set it all aside and turn on your Instant Pot. Press the “saute” button and wait for it to heat up.
Cooking the Chicken
Next, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add a drizzle of olive oil to the Instant Pot. Add the chicken to the pot in batches, being careful not to add too much at once. Sear the chicken until it is browned and set it aside.
Making the Stew
Add the chopped onion and garlic and chili paste to the pot and cook until golden. Use a wooden spoon to scrape off any stuck-on chicken bits from the bottom of the pot. Add a splash of chicken stock to deglaze the bottom of the pot.
Turn off the Instant Pot and add the chopped carrots, celery, potatoes, and browned chicken. Pour 2 cups of chicken broth over everything, making sure the potatoes are fully submerged in the broth. Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme on top and put the lid on. Turn the valve to the ceiling position and set the Instant Pot to 5 minutes on high pressure.
Thickening the Stew
Once the cooking time is up, let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally for 15 minutes. Release the remaining pressure manually. Add a slurry made of a few tablespoons of broth, 2 tablespoons of sour cream or nut milk, and 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour. Whisk everything together until no more lumps can be seen, then pour it into the pot.
Add a few handfuls of kale and hit the “saute” button to get the stew to a boil. Stir the stew for a minute or two until it reaches your desired thickness and the kale starts to wilt.
Serving the Stew
The stew is now ready to serve. You can eat it on its own or with a piece of bread. Alternatively, you can serve it over rice, which the author prefers. Drizzle a little bit of lemon juice over your bowl for extra flavor, and enjoy the delicious and comforting taste of this hearty Instant Pot Chicken Stew.
- Instant Pot
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Small bowl
- You can add different types of vegetables to the stew such as mushrooms, peas, or corn.
- To make the stew even creamier, you can add a can of coconut milk or heavy cream instead of the slurry.
- If you prefer a thicker stew, you can increase the amount of flour in the slurry or add a cornstarch slurry to the pot.
- For extra flavor, you can add a bay leaf or some smoked paprika to the stew.
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can make this recipe on the stove in a large pot, but it will take longer to cook.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I use chicken breast instead of chicken thighs? Answer: Yes, but the chicken breast may become dry during the cooking time.
- Can I make this recipe without an Instant Pot? Answer: Yes, you can make this recipe on the stove in a large pot, but it will take longer to cook.
- Can I use a different type of potato in this recipe? Answer: Yes, any type of potato will work, but the creamier/starchier ones will make a creamier stew.
- Can I use a different type of chili paste? Answer: Yes, any chili paste or chopped chili will work in this recipe.
- Can I make this recipe ahead of time? Answer: Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time and reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
This recipe is for a comforting chicken stew made in an Instant Pot with tender chicken, carrots, celery, potatoes, and kale. It is perfect for a cold day and can be served with bread or over rice.
1 yellow onion
1–3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp chili paste or fresh chili – my favorite is Ají Amarillo
4 stalks celery
1 lbs yellow potatoes
1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups chicken broth
2 sprigs thyme
2 Tbsp sour cream
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups kale, cut into bite-size pieces
- Peel and chop all the vegetables and set them aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and heat it up.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to the Instant Pot and brown the chicken in batches. Set the chicken aside once it’s browned.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, and chili paste to the Instant Pot and sauté until golden.
- Add a splash of chicken broth to deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Add the chopped carrots, celery, potatoes, and browned chicken to the Instant Pot.
- Pour 2 cups of chicken broth over everything and make sure all potatoes are submerged in the broth.
- Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme on top and put the lid on.
- Turn the valve to the sealing position and set the Instant Pot to 5 minutes on high pressure.
- Let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally for 15 minutes, then release the remaining pressure manually.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of sour cream or nut milk, 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour, and a few tablespoons of broth until no lumps remain.
- Pour the slurry into the Instant Pot and add a few handfuls of kale.
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and stir the stew for a minute or two until it reaches your desired thickness and the kale has wilted.
- Serve with a drizzle of lemon juice, if desired.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 451mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 24g
- Cholesterol: 87mg
Keywords: Instant Pot Chicken Stew