Easy Instant Pot Mexican Rice
It’s no secret that moms are busy. Between work, running errands, and taking care of the family, there’s not always a lot of time for cooking.
That’s where the Instant Pot comes in handy. This amazing appliance can cook meals quickly and easily, with little effort.
In today’s blog post, we’ll share a quick and easy recipe for Mexican rice that you can make in your Instant Pot. So read on to learn more!
How To Make The Instant Pot Mexican Rice?
Instant pot Mexican rice is the easy way to make the dish without letting go of any kind of flavor and, of course, saving a lot of time.
Heat up the instant pot, pour in some oil or butter, and wait till it melts. Then add the rice.
Stir the rice in the oil till it gets brown, or at least tell it has some color.
Once done, grab some tomatoes, onions, and garlic and add them to the instant pot. Chop everything into small pieces and add them to the rice. You can add some tomato paste for better coloring and strong flavor.
The next step is to add all the spices you might need and stir until all the flavors mix (about 4-5 minutes).
Once you have done all mentioned up there, your next move will be adding water or chicken broth, depending on what texture you want.
For thicker rice, you have to pick the chicken broth. It gives Mexican instant pot rice a better texture.
Close the pot, Press the manual or pressure cook button, and cook on high pressure for about 7 minutes. Once done, release the pressure for about 2 min before carefully opening the pot.
Let it rest for about 4 minutes, and stir before serving it with other side dishes.
What Salsa To Use In Your Instant Pot Mexican Rice?
What is the better salsa or sauce to use in the Mexican rice instant pot that usually comes to mind?
Well, it is always to use fresh tomato sauce. Usually, the best salsa you can add to your rice is the salsa di Pomodoro. It’s a tomato-based salsa considered one of the best fresh salsas that you can add to your instant pot of Mexican rice.
In case you were a bit busy making that fresh salsa, there is always a good solution the canned salsas that you can get from any nearby grocery store.
Many people consider that because it’s canned, it doesn’t contain that amazing, great taste, well let me tell you something, my friend, you are very wrong if you thought that it’s true.
Usually, the canned tomatoes can be even tastier and better than the fresh ones, right? Just don’t ask me why.
Try everything you can and cook with your heart; believe me, everything will taste a lot better.
Brown rice vs. white rice in an instant pot?
May the best win?
Cooking rice in an instant pot is always challenging for most people cause the rice liquid rice ratio needs a guide every time.
Well, these few next sentences will guide you on how to cook the perfect instant pot rice. Let’s go.
Okay, let’s start with the white rice. For this one, the first thing you need to do is to rinse the rice by genteelly scrubbing it with your fingertips.
For the rice liquid ratio, use a cup of water for every cup of rice (keep in mind that 1 cup of liquid is measured at 250ml). If you don’t want to use water, you can replace it with chicken or vegetable broth.
The next move will be to put some oil or butter in the instant pot, let it heat a bit, then add, put the white rice in and stir for 30 seconds, then add the water or the broth.
Once you do, close the instant pot immediately so you want to lose any liquids.
Press the rice button on your pressure cooker, and wait for 12 minutes.
The most important tip is to make sure you add some sea salt. It gives the rice an amazing, wonderful taste.
Once the 12 minutes are done, let the rice rest for about 10 minutes before you serve.
Now it’s the brown rice turns, yup. It’s almost the same thing, except that for this rice, you have to rinse it to tell the water to come clear.
The other different thing between the two is the rice liquid ratio. For this rice, each cup equals a cup and a quarter of water (vegetable broth or chicken broth).
The other difference between the two is the cooking time. For this brown rice instant pot, you will need 23 minutes for complete and great cooking.
Let it rest for about 10 minutes before you serve.
Will This Mexican instant pot Rice Freeze Well?
If that was your question, my answer to you would be yes.
It freezes very well, it’s clear that nowadays people have less time to cook, so when they do, they always want to make large quantities and place them in the freezer.
Whenever you need to taste something made at home, you pull that plastic bag from the freezer and put it in the microwave, and you’re ready to go.
Tips for Making and Serving Instant Pot Mexican Rice:
– When sautéing the rice, it can absorb almost every flavor you put in there.
Make sure to pick the right things. For example, the butter will give it a toasted, nutty flavor. Sesame oil will give it a bit of Asian flavor, and so on…
– When you sauté rice, it gets a bit toasted outside. This slightly toasted exterior keeps the rice from becoming too mushy and gives it a crunchy bite.
– Once you are cooking your instant pot rice, you can drizzle some lemon juice on top for a better taste.Print
The quickest Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- ½ tablespoon of olive oil or butter
- ½ cup of sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of water or vegetable broth
- ½ cup of tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon of chili powder ((if you like some fired up flavor))
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup of uncooked white rice (I prefer a long grain such as basmati)
- get your instant pot ready
- wash the white rice till the water comes clear
- once the instant pot is heated add some butter in or oil depending on your taste
- let the butter melt and throw the rice in
- let the rice to soak the butter and gets a little bit of the brown color so it keeps it crunchy maximum 5-6 minutes
- once the rice is ready to add the add all the other ingredients ( tomato, onions, garlic ..)
- add the spices and mix everything for about 4-5 minutes, till the smell of the spices comes strong
- you can add tomato paste in case you wanted better colors
- once you did all that it’s time to add the broth or simply water ( for each cup of rice add 250 ml of water or broth)
- close the pot and cook on high pressure for about 8-10 minutes
- release the pressure and let everything to set for 5 minutes
- now time to serve
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: instant pot mexican rice
WANT MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS EASY INSTANT POT MEXICAN RICE RECIPE?
Instant Pot Corned Beef And Cabbage
Instant pot chicken Tikka Masala
Creamy Instant Pot Tomato Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe