Instant Pot Crack Chicken is one of the easiest, quickest, most delicious, and creamiest meals you can ever cook. It is rich and full of flavor as well as healthy for you.
You can make it for yourself, your family or your friends, everyone will love it: it’s a charm! Let’s be real, a combo of chicken, cheese, bacon, and ranch will never disappoint you.
This low-carb instant pot recipe is also perfect for people who want to maintain their healthy keto diet as it perfectly respects its rules. It has very low carbohydrates, is high in fats, and has an adequate amount of proteins.
I told you, it’s a charm! I cooked this meal for people of different ages, and they all loved it.
What Is Keto Crack Chicken?
For people who do not know what keto is, keto stands for ketosis, a natural state of the body in which it relies on burning fat to fuel it.
As someone on a keto diet, your food should consist of low carbohydrates and high fat.
Keto crack chicken is a meal you should include in your keto diet.
Crack chicken sounds a bit funny for a food meal, but it got that name for being addictive. It is made of chicken breast or boneless chicken thighs, cheese, bacon, and ranch, all cooked together in an instant pot.
Can you Freeze Crack Chicken?
Whenever I invite friends or family over and cook this meal for them, they ask me this question. I think somehow. They implicitly ask me to give them what’s left of it.
But the answer to that question is yes. You can freeze crack chicken. You just let it cool down and then put it in food containers or freezer bags.
Store it in the freezer for up to 3 months maximum. Plan when you want to serve it, as you should take it out of the freezer one night before and place it in the fridge. Use a microwave or a pan to heat it, then serve.
Can you Use Frozen Chicken to Cook this Meal?
Of course, you can use frozen chicken to make crack chicken. However, what I noticed from doing that is that the thickness of the sauce is too soupy, and maybe that happens because the frozen water inside the chicken melts once it is on fire.
To make the sauce thicker, we recommend using a smaller portion of water or chicken broth for the cream cheese.
A second tip is once everything is cooked, let it sit for about 10 minutes so the chicken will absorb the sauce and get thick.
If this still does not work, just turn on your instant pot on “sauté” mode and stir everything for about 5 minutes until the sauce gets thicker.
Just make sure to stir everything constantly; otherwise, it will burn.
Using Chicken Leftovers for Crack Chicken:
Chicken may be one of the ingredients I have leftovers in the fridge every week.
I sometimes just cook it in large quantities because I know that later I can use its leftovers for almost everything, yet sometimes I just overestimate the quantity when I cook for guests who come over.
But that is not going to be food waste. To cook crack chicken with chicken leftovers, follow the same steps we mentioned.
Keep the chicken whole if possible, cook it using the instant pot for only 5 minutes on Manual High Pressure, and then serve.
If you have leftovers of crack chicken, you can still heat it the next day and eat it.
Do I need an instant pot to make crack chicken?
If you do not have an instant pot at home, you will ask yourself this question.
The answer is no. You don’t need it. However, the instant pot will save you time cooking this meal instead of a slow cooker or a simple pot on the stove.
How does that happen?
Water in an instant pot boils up to 120C° instead of the usual 100C°, which cooks meats and other ingredients way faster.
Investing money for an instant pot won’t disappoint you as you will find this gadget helpful and functional in the kitchen. It makes life easy. 🙂
What Makes this Crack Chicken Keto/Low-Carb?
The ingredients of this meal are chicken, cheese, and bacon. This is a perfect combination for people who are on a keto diet.
Chicken has the required amount of protein, while cheese and bacon will provide the fats.
The important thing to consider when making this meal is to decide whether you are going to eat it alone with just a fork or you are going to serve it with other ingredients because that could be what would make crack chicken, not a keto meal.
What to Serve with Crack Chicken?
You can serve the crack chicken with many ingredients such as pasta, tacos, mashed potatoes, rice…etc.
However, this article aims to maintain your keto diet with this meal.
Here are some serving suggestions for you that will keep your crack chicken a low-carb keto meal:
You can always serve crack chicken as a sandwich or with burger buns; however, we recommend using keto bread with low carbohydrates.
Cauliflower is one of my favorites as it is fast to cook, very delicious, and has lower calories and carbs than white and brown rice.
Everything goes with guacamole, so why not make your own at home and use it as a side dish with this meal?
Baby spinach is very healthy and also can be used with crack chicken. Using it as a base gives it a delicious taste.
Other Low Carb Instant Pot Recipes you will love!
- Low Carb Roasted Red Bell Pepper Chicken – From An Edible Mosaic.
- Instant Pot Beef Ribs – From Lara Clevenger
- Instant Pot Keto Cinnamon Rolls – From The Keto Queens
- 2 lbs. of chicken breast or boneless chicken meat in general.
- 2 to 8 slices of cooked bacon
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ tablespoon of garlic power
- ½ tablespoon of onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste. Paprika if desired.
- ½ tablespoon of dried chives.
- 8 oz. of cream cheese
- ½ cup (2oz.) of shredded cheddar
- 1 sliced scallion, green and white parts
- 1 cup of chicken broth or only water
- Turn the instant pot on the “Sauté” mode and let it heat up for about 2 minutes.
- Add bacon and let it cook until it is crispy to your desired crispiness. It will usually take from 1 to 3 minutes to complete this step. Once you finish take the bacon out and put it aside. This will be used later as a topping on the chicken when being served.
- Add olive oil to your instant pot and white it is heating a little bit, season your chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Put your chicken in the instant pot and brown it on both sides, it will take about 2 minutes for each side. Once you’ve done that, press “cancel” on the instant pot to stop sautéing.
- Add cream cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, dried chives, salt, pepper and chicken broth or water to the pot.
- Turn on your instant pot on Manual mode High Pressure for around 12-15 minutes then do a quick release.
- After that, take the chicken and place it on a plate or cutting board and shred it using two forks, then return it back to the pot. I personally prefer not shredding the chicken too much as I did the first time. It became too creamy and the chicken lost its texture. But again this depends on your taste.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir everything. You can add other types of cheese such as Gouda or parmesan cheese but in my opinion, cheddar is the best option. Before serving let it sit for 5 min to thicken the sauce.
- Top it with bacon and sliced scallion et voilà!
So as you’ve seen this meal is very nutritional and easy to make. You can also spend some time with your kids in the kitchen by teaching them how to make it.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 471
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 525
- Fat: 35
- Saturated Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 4
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 32
- Cholesterol: 143
Keywords: chicken breasts recipe, chicken dinner, cream cheese, instant pot chicken recipe, instant pot dinner ideas