When it comes to Italian comfort food, there’s nothing better than a big plate of lasagna. This famous dish can be made in many different ways, with the standard Italian beef recipe being just one of them.
In the case of this chicken lasagna stuffed recipe, the meat sauce is replaced with a delicious mixture that features chicken breast instead of ground beef.
Instead of layering chopped tomatoes and other ingredients as in traditional lasagna recipes, we’ll use those same ingredients differently.
Using chicken breasts as casings for a flavorful filling and placing them inside an oven, we create an amazing stuffed chicken dish you will love to serve your friends and family on any occasion.
Read on to learn how you can enjoy this new take on the classic Italian dish!
HOW TO MAKE LASAGNA STUFFED CHICKEN:
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a baking dish. You’ll need to butter some chicken breasts to stuff things inside for this recipe. The easiest way to do this is to buy the largest chicken breasts.
To butterfly, you slice them in half lengthwise, but you don’t cut all the way through so that you can fold them open.
I have 2 large breasts today, so once they’re butterflied, place them into the prepared baking dish. We’ll season these insides with a little bit of salt and black pepper.
For the filling, you’ll need 1 cup of ricotta cheese, 1 large egg, about 2 cloves of minced garlic, 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and then about 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. Then stir this all together.
Alright, our filling’s ready, and then you’ll also need some marinara. You can use homemade, I often have some frozen in my freezer, or you can use some from a jar.
Spoon about 2 tablespoons of marinara onto the insides of each of these chicken breasts that are butterflied.
Then we’ll spoon our ricotta mixture onto one-half of each butterflied chicken breast.
Then gently fold the chicken breast over the filling to close.
Season the tops with a little bit more of that salt and black pepper. Pour 1 cup of marinara over the tops of these chicken breasts to kind of finish them off.
Top with about 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, then sprinkles about 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning on top.
All that’s left to do is bake this in the preheated 400-degree oven until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F., which will take about 25-30 minutes.
You can serve this with pasta, of course, or you can serve it with roasted veggies or a nice green salad. It is a delicious meal.Print
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning divided
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella divided
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Butterfly chicken breasts lengthwise and place into a lightly greased baking dish.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, egg, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, and 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of sauce onto one-half of each chicken breast. Spread the ricotta mixture on top of the sauce and fold the chicken breasts to close.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 cup of marinara sauce over the chicken. Top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven for 25-30 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Prep Time: 5 MINUTES
- Cook Time: 25 MINUTES
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 440
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 1161
- Fat: 24
- Saturated Fat: 13
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 45
- Cholesterol: 188
Keywords: Lasagna Stuffed Chicken