Chocolate pie is a classic dessert that has been enjoyed for decades. If you’re looking for a recipe that is easy to make and absolutely delicious, then look no further than this recipe from Preppy Kitchen.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the steps involved in making this chocolate pie and discuss some of the tips and tricks that can help you make it perfectly every time.
How to Make the Perfect Chocolate Pie: A Step-by-Step Guide
Preheat the Oven
The first step in making a chocolate pie is to preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. This will ensure that your pie shell gets nice and toasty while it bakes. If you’re using a homemade butter crust, that’s great! If not, you can also use a store-bought pie shell, but make sure to check the instructions as they can vary from brand to brand.
Prepare the Pie Shell
Line the pie shell with parchment paper and add pie weights. You can create a nest of foil to hold the pie weights in place and press it against the edge of your frozen pie to keep everything together. Bake the pie shell in the oven for 20 minutes, then remove the paper and pie weights and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until everything is golden and dried out.
Make the Chocolate Filling
While your pie shell is baking, it’s time to start preparing the chocolate filling. In a medium pot, add one and a half cups of granulated sugar (300 grams) and half a cup of cocoa powder (50 grams). Whisk gently to break up any lumps and create an even mixture.
Slowly whisk in one and a half cups of milk, saving half a cup for later. You should have a thick, beautiful mixture with no lumps anywhere. Put the pot over medium-high heat and whisk constantly until it comes to a simmer. Then stir frequently until it’s time to mix the rest of the ingredients.
Mix the Remaining Ingredients
While the chocolate mixture is warming up, grab a big bowl and mix the rest of your ingredients. Separate four egg yolks and add them to the bowl. Add three tablespoons of flour, half a teaspoon of salt, and whisk everything together.
Whisk in the remaining half cup of milk until everything is beautifully mixed up. Cut a quarter cup of butter into cubes and set it aside.
Combine the Ingredients
Now it’s time to combine the two mixtures. Use a narrow whisk when heating up a milk mixture for a custard or pudding. It’s also important to use a pot with a thick wall, as this will transmit heat nicely and prevent the milk from scorching.
Slowly whisk the chocolate mixture into the egg yolks, being careful not to add it too quickly or the egg yolks will curdle. Pour the mixture back into the pot and heat over medium-low heat. Stir constantly, working in a spiral pattern from the edge of the pot to the center, to prevent burnt milk egg situation on the edge. Stir until the mixture has thickened and is bubbling, then remove it from the heat.
Add Final Touches
Finally, add a teaspoon of vanilla and a quarter cup of cubed butter into the mixture. Pour it into the baked pie shell and smooth it out evenly. Allow the pie to cool to room temperature before serving.
In conclusion, This chocolate pie recipe from Preppy Kitchen is a fantastic choice for anyone who loves the rich, decadent taste of chocolate.
By following the simple steps outlined in this article, you can create a delicious chocolate pie that will impress your friends and family.
With a buttery, flaky crust and a luscious chocolate filling, this pie is sure to become a favorite in your household.Print
This recipe is for a classic and delicious homemade pizza. The crust is made from scratch with simple ingredients, and then topped with tomato sauce, cheese, and your favorite toppings. The result is a crispy, cheesy, and flavorful pizza that is sure to satisfy your cravings.
- 1½ cups granulated sugar (300g)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (50g)
- 2 cups milk* (480ml)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter cubed (57g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream for serving
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If using a pre-made pie crust, double-check the instructions and follow accordingly. If using a homemade crust, roll it out and place it in a pie dish. Line the crust with parchment paper and add pie weights on top. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the paper and weights and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until the crust is golden and dried out.
- In a medium pot, whisk together the sugar and cocoa powder until no lumps remain.
- Slowly whisk in 1 1/2 cups of milk, reserving the remaining 1/2 cup for later.
- Place the pot over medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, flour, and salt.
- Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks, whisking constantly to prevent the eggs from curdling.
- Pour the mixture back into the pot and place it over medium-low heat. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the cubed butter and vanilla extract until fully incorporated.
- Pour the chocolate filling into the prepared pie crust and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Chill the pie in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or until set.
- Serve and enjoy!
For an extra special touch, top the pie with whipped cream or chocolate shavings before serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Chill Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 8 servings
- Calories: 400 kcal
- Sugar: 41g
- Sodium: 263mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 120mg