Delight your taste buds with these scrumptious keto sloppy joes, offering the perfect balance of flavor and low-carb goodness. In this comprehensive guide, uncover the secrets to crafting this mouthwatering dish that will have you savoring every bite. Let’s dive into the culinary adventure that awaits!
Preparing the Ground Beef
To start making keto sloppy joes, begin with 1.5 pounds of ground beef. You can choose the ratio of fat to lean according to your preference. Cook and crumble the ground beef until it’s fully cooked, which should take about 8 minutes.
Seasoning the Beef
Season the beef with 1 tablespoon of McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning. This seasoning adds a unique flavor to the sloppy joes. Also, stir in 0.5 cups of diced onion. Using frozen onion is a great time-saving option, as it cooks faster and is more convenient.
Incorporate a whole diced red bell pepper into the mixture. Once the ground beef is cooked through and the vegetables are soft, it’s time to finish the sloppy joes.
Creating the Sauce
Add 1 cup of tomato sauce, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Stir everything well and bring it to a simmer. Taste the sauce to ensure it doesn’t need any additional salt or seasoning.
Keto Bun Options
While the sloppy joes are simmering, consider your options for keto-friendly buns. Some popular choices include:
- Sola Bread – 70 calories and 2 net carbs per piece
- Cauliflower Thins – 100 calories and 2 net carbs for two pieces
- Oroweat Keto Buns – 80 calories and 6 net carbs per bun
- Low-carb tortillas – 80 calories and 3 net carbs per small tortilla, or 35 calories and 5 net carbs per large wrap
Another alternative is making a 90-second bread recipe or a sloppy joe quesadilla.
90-Second Bread Recipe
For a quick and easy keto bread option, try this 90-second bread recipe:
- Coat the inside of an 8-ounce ramekin with 1 tablespoon of oil (butter, coconut oil, etc.) for non-stick purposes.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of almond flour, 0.5 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 egg (or egg white for less eggy taste), and a pinch of salt.
- Pour the mixture into the ramekin and microwave for 90 seconds.
Assembling the Keto Sloppy Joes
Once the bread is ready, carefully cut it in half and toast it if desired. Top the bread with the prepared sloppy joe sauce. You can also add mayonnaise or any other condiments to enhance the flavor. Enjoy your delicious and low carb keto sloppy joes!
Required Kitchen Tools and Equipment:
- Large skillet or frying pan
- Cooking utensils (spatula or wooden spoon)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board and knife
- Microwave-safe 8-ounce ramekin
Tips and Variations:
- Use ground turkey or ground chicken for a lighter version of sloppy joes.
- Add additional vegetables such as diced carrots, zucchini, or mushrooms for more nutrients and flavor.
- For a spicier version, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or some diced jalapeno peppers.
- Use lettuce wraps or cabbage leaves instead of low-carb bread options for a lighter and gluten-free alternative.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I use ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef? Yes, you can use ground turkey or chicken as a substitute for ground beef for a lighter version of the sloppy joes.
- Can I make this recipe vegetarian or vegan? To make this recipe vegetarian or vegan, replace the ground beef with a plant-based meat substitute or lentils.
- Can I prepare this recipe ahead of time? Yes, you can prepare the sloppy joe mixture ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat before serving.
- Can I use store-bought sloppy joe sauce instead of making my own? Yes, you can use store-bought sauce, but check the label for added sugars and carbs if you are following a keto or low-carb diet. Making your own sauce allows you to control the ingredients and ensure it aligns with your dietary preferences.
- Can I use a different type of low-carb bread? Absolutely, you can use any low-carb bread options you prefer or have available, such as Sola Bread, cauliflower thins, Oroweat Keto Buns, or low-carb tortillas.
Enjoy a low-carb twist on the classic sloppy joe with this delicious keto version, served on homemade 90-second bread for a satisfying and guilt-free meal.
1.5 lbs ground beef (fat to lean ratio of your choice)
1 tbsp McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning
1/2 cup diced frozen onion
1 whole diced red bell pepper
1 cup tomato sauce
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp tomato paste
90-Second Bread Ingredients:
1 tbsp oil (butter, coconut oil, or any other oil)
3 tbsp almond flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg (or just egg white for less eggy taste)
Pinch of salt
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble the ground beef until it is cooked all the way through (about 8 minutes).
- Add the steak seasoning, diced onion, and diced red bell pepper to the skillet. Cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it simmer for a few minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- While the sloppy joe mixture simmers, prepare the 90-second bread by coating the inside of an 8-ounce ramekin with oil. Combine the almond flour, baking powder, egg, and salt in the ramekin and mix well.
- Microwave the ramekin for 90 seconds, then carefully remove the bread and cut it in half. Optionally, toast the bread before assembling the sandwich.
- Assemble the keto sloppy joe by placing the meat mixture on one half of the bread and topping it with the other half.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stovetop, Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 sloppy joe sandwich on 90-second bread
- Calories: 429
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 689mg
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 33g
- Cholesterol: 112mg
Keywords: 30 minute meal, recipe for keto sloppy joes