Are you looking for a tasty and easy-to-make snack for your next party or gathering? Look no further than the smoked almond cheddar wafers recipe!
These crackers are cheesy with an amazing hit of savory smoked almond deliciousness. The recipe is from the winter chapter of a cookbook, and it’s super easy to make. Just follow along with the recipe to create the best crackers you’ve ever had in your life.
How To Make Smoked Almond Cheddar Wafers
Grate the Cheese
Start by grating 8 ounces or 227 grams of sharp cheddar cheese. Grate the cheese and set it aside. You can use any type of sharp cheddar cheese you like. It’s best to buy a block of cheese and grate it yourself, rather than using pre-grated cheese, as the pre-grated cheese usually contains additives to prevent clumping, which can affect the taste of the crackers.
Chop the Smoked Almonds
Into the bowl of your food processor, add 3/4 of a cup or 90 grams of smoked almonds. Pulse the almonds until they’re finely chopped, but be careful not to overdo it, as this will make smoked almond butter instead of finely chopped almonds. You want a nice fine almond meal with a little bit of crunch left over, but no big pieces.
Add the Flour
Measure 1 1/4 cups or 150 grams of all-purpose flour into a bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of corn starch and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. These ingredients will give the crackers a tender crumb and a nice little hit of heat. Also, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Stir the ingredients until they’re well combined.
Add the Cheese
Add the shredded cheese to the food processor and pulse until it’s combined with the almonds. Cube half a cup or 113 grams of unsalted cold butter and add it to the food processor. Pulse the mixture until the butter is incorporated and you have what looks like large breadcrumbs.
With the food processor running, pour two tablespoons of milk into the mixture. The mixture will turn into a ball of dough. This is what holds the mixture together. Be careful not to over-process the dough.
Freeze the Dough
Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and roll it into a log shape. Wrap the parchment paper tightly around the log and place it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. If you’re making the crackers for a party, you can make the dough well in advance and store it in the freezer until you’re ready to slice and bake.
Bake the Crackers
Preheat your oven to 350°F or 175°C. Take the log out of the freezer and unwrap it. Slice the log into thin rounds, about 1/4 inch thick. Place the rounds on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the crackers for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.
Serve and Enjoy
Once the crackers are done baking, take them out of the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes. Then, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. These crackers are perfect for parties or as a quick snack. They’re cheesy with an amazing hit of savory smoked almond deliciousness. Enjoy!
The kitchen tools and equipment needed for the smoked almond cheddar wafers recipe are as follows:
- Food processor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Digital scale
- Rolling pin
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can finely chop the smoked almonds using a knife and use a hand mixer to combine the dough.
- For a variation, you can add other spices to the recipe, like garlic powder or paprika, depending on your preference.
- Instead of cheddar cheese, you can use other types of cheese, like parmesan or gouda, to create different flavors.
- You can also substitute the smoked almonds with regular almonds, pecans, or walnuts, depending on your preference.
- To make the dough more flavorful, you can add chopped herbs like rosemary, thyme, or basil.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Q: Can I make the dough in advance and freeze it?
A: Yes, you can make the dough in advance and freeze it. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Q: How long can I store the crackers?
A: The crackers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Q: Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted butter?
A: It’s better to use unsalted butter so that you can control the amount of salt in the recipe.
Q: Can I use a different type of flour, like whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour?
A: Yes, you can use different types of flour, but it may affect the texture and taste of the crackers.Print
This recipe is for making smoked almond cheddar wafers that are perfect for parties or as a gift. They are cheesy with a hit of savory smoked almond flavor.
8 oz (227 g) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
¾ cup (90 g) smoked almonds
1 ¼ cups (150 g) all-purpose flour
2 tsp cornstarch
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp salt
½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, cubed
2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Use a food processor to finely chop the smoked almonds until they have a nice fine almond meal texture.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the almond meal, flour, cornstarch, cayenne pepper, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the grated cheddar to the mixing bowl and mix until everything is evenly combined.
- Add the cubed butter to the mixing bowl and pulse the food processor until the mixture has a crumbly texture.
- While pulsing the mixture, add the milk and continue pulsing until the mixture turns into a ball of dough.
- Dump the dough onto a floured surface and roll it into a log shape.
- Cut the log into ¼ inch (0.6 cm) thick slices and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the edges of the crackers start to brown.
- Let the crackers cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-18 minutes
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 36 crackers
- Calories: 163
- Sugar: 0.3 g
- Sodium: 131 mg
- Fat: 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.8 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 5.6 g
- Cholesterol: 28 mg