Bananas Foster French Toast: The Perfect Sweet and Savory Breakfast Delight
Are you looking for a breakfast recipe that is both sweet and savory, with a special touch of rum sauce that will take your taste buds on a journey? Look no further than Bananas Foster French Toast! This recipe is a treat for the senses, with its fluffy and rich texture, sweet and savory flavor, and a hint of rum sauce that will make your morning extraordinary. In this article, we will walk you through the process of making this delectable breakfast dish, including the required kitchen tools, tips and variations to inspire your creativity.
How to Make Delicious Bananas Foster French Toast for Breakfast
French Toast Batter
To start, grab a large mixing bowl and add in 2 cups of milk and 5 eggs. Whisk the ingredients together until the eggs are fully broken up. Add in 1/2 cup of flour to provide structure, 1/4 cup of brown sugar for sweetness, and 1/4 cup of rum to give the dish its unique flavor. Sprinkle in 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to balance it all out. Keep whisking until the batter is smooth.
Cooking the French Toast
Next, heat a frying pan or electric griddle over medium-high heat, and add a little butter. Dip your bread (brioche bread works great!) into the custard mixture, making sure it is fully coated, and place it in the hot frying pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until it is golden brown. Set aside the cooked French toast and repeat the process until all of your batter is used up.
Making the Rum Sauce
In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup of salted butter and add in 1 cup of brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg. Heat the mixture over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until it becomes bubbly. Add in 3 sliced bananas and cook for an additional 4 minutes until the bananas are tender. Turn off the heat and add in 1/2 cup of rum. Carefully ignite the rum with a lighter or long match, and stir until the flames go out. The alcohol will burn off, leaving behind delicious flavors. Drizzle the rum sauce over the cooked French toast and top with chopped nuts if desired.
Required Kitchen Tools
To make Bananas Foster French Toast, you will need the following kitchen tools:
- Large mixing bowl
- Frying pan or electric griddle
- Large saucepan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
Tips and Variations
- If you prefer a sweeter French toast, add a little more brown sugar to the batter or top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Experiment with different types of bread, such as challah or sourdough, to see which one you like best.
- For a healthier version, use almond or coconut milk instead of cow’s milk and coconut oil instead of butter.
- You can also add other fruits to the rum sauce, such as sliced peaches or apples, for a fun twist.
- If you don’t have rum, you can substitute it with whiskey or brandy for a different flavor.
With its perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors, Bananas Foster French Toast is a breakfast dish that will impress your family and friends. It’s easy to make and can be customized to your liking. With a little creativity, you can turn this recipe into your own signature breakfast dish. Try it out today and let your taste buds be the judge!Print
Bananas Foster French Toast Recipe
A sweet and savory breakfast recipe with a rum sauce that adds a unique touch. The dish is made by dipping brioche bread into a custard mixture and cooking it until golden brown, then topping it with a rum sauce with caramelized bananas.
French Toast Batter:
2 cups milk
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rum
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup salted butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
3 bananas, sliced
1/2 cup rum
Chopped nuts (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, flour, brown sugar, rum, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt until smooth.
- Heat a frying pan or electric griddle over medium-high heat and add a little butter.
- Dip brioche bread slices into the custard mixture, making sure they are fully coated, and place them in the hot frying pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown. Set aside the cooked French toast and repeat until all batter is used up.
- In a large saucepan, melt salted butter and add brown sugar, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg. Heat over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until bubbly.
- Add sliced bananas and cook for an additional 4 minutes until tender.
- Turn off the heat and add rum. Carefully ignite the rum with a lighter or long match, and stir until the flames go out.
- Drizzle the rum sauce over the cooked French toast and top with chopped nuts if desired.
- Serve hot and enjoy!