Are you tired of eating the same old breakfast every day? Do you want to add some excitement to your morning routine? Look no further than French toast sticks! These dippable and delicious sticks will make breakfast feel like a game.
How To Make French Toast Sticks
Before we start, make sure you have all the necessary ingredients. For this recipe, you will need 8 slices of sandwich bread, 2 cups of milk, 4 large eggs, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and some butter or oil for cooking.
Step 1: Slice the Bread into Sticks
Start by slicing the bread into sticks, about 1 1/2 – 2 inches in size. This step is crucial as it determines the shape of your French toast sticks. Set aside the sticks and let’s move on to the next step.
Step 2: Make the Mixture
In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of milk, 4 large eggs, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Whisk everything together until the mixture is smooth. This mixture will give your French toast sticks their sweet and flavorful taste.
Step 3: Cook the French Toast Sticks
Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a little bit of butter or oil to the pan. Take the sticks and fully saturate them in the mixture, shake off any excess, and place them in the hot pan. Let the sticks cook for about 2-3 minutes per side or until they are golden brown.
Once the sticks are golden brown on both sides, remove them from the pan. Work in batches until all the sticks are cooked. Voila! You now have delicious French toast sticks that you can dunk and enjoy.
List of Required Kitchen Tools or Equipment:
- Large mixing bowl
- Griddle or frying pan
- Knife for slicing bread
Tips and Variations:
- Serve with a variety of toppings such as powdered sugar, maple syrup, honey, or fruit.
- Use different types of bread such as brioche, challah, or cinnamon swirl bread for added flavor.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg or cardamom to the egg mixture for a unique twist on the classic recipe.
- For a healthier version, use whole wheat bread and almond milk instead of regular milk.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I use stale bread for French toast sticks?
A: Yes, stale bread actually works better for French toast as it soaks up the egg mixture better.
Q: Can I make the egg mixture ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make the egg mixture the night before and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
Q: Can I freeze French toast sticks?
A: Yes, once the French toast sticks have cooled, you can freeze them in an airtight container for up to 2 months. To reheat, simply place in the toaster or oven until heated through.
French toast sticks are a fun and easy way to switch up your breakfast routine. They are perfect for kids and adults alike and can be enjoyed with your favorite dipping sauce.Print
French toast sticks are a delicious and fun way to enjoy breakfast. These dippable sticks are perfect for kids and adults alike, and can be made easily with a few simple ingredients.
8 slices of sandwich bread
2 cups of milk
4 large eggs
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Butter or oil for frying
- Slice the bread into sticks, about 1 1/2 – 2 inches in length.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt until the mixture is smooth.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat and add a little bit of butter or oil to the pan.
- Fully saturate each stick in the mixture, shake off the excess, and place in the hot pan.
- Cook the sticks for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Remove the sticks from the pan and repeat in batches until all sticks are cooked.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: French
- Calories: 219
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 386mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 120mg