Are you on a weight loss journey or simply trying to prioritize healthy eating?
If so, you’re in the right place. This article will guide you through the process of making easy overnight oats, a fantastic healthy breakfast option.
Made with real, everyday ingredients that are not only nutritious but also affordable, these oats are a well-balanced meal that perfectly combines carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats.
How to Make Strawberry and Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
Choosing Your Ingredients
The main ingredients for this recipe are rolled oatmeal, Greek yogurt, unsweetened almond milk, and chia seeds. For this particular version, we’re adding a delightful twist with a strawberry and peanut butter flavor combo.
Assembling Your Overnight Oats
Start by choosing a 16-ounce mason jar. This size gives you enough space to mix all of the ingredients while still leaving room for any additional toppings. The first ingredient to go into the jar is 1 cup of rolled oats. You can use quick-cooked oats as well, but they will result in a creamier and softer texture.
Next, add 0.5 cups of unsweetened almond milk. Any type of milk you prefer will work just fine. Follow this with 0.25 cups of 2% plain unsweetened Greek yogurt. You can also use non-fat or full-fat Greek yogurt.
Adding Flavor and Nutrients
To boost the nutritional value and flavor, add 1 teaspoon of chia seeds, which are rich in protein and fiber. They also help to thicken up the oats. For flavor, add 0.25 teaspoons of cinnamon and a few drops of stevia. If you prefer, you can substitute the stevia with maple syrup or honey.
Incorporating the Star Ingredients
For the strawberry and peanut butter flavor, add 1 tablespoon of all-natural peanut butter and some fresh chopped strawberries. Stir all the ingredients until they’re well combined, then pop the jar into the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight.
Tips and Variations
Overnight oats are incredibly versatile, and there are numerous ways you can customize this recipe to suit your taste buds and dietary needs. Here are some tips and variations to consider:
- Experiment with Different Flavors: While this recipe uses strawberries and peanut butter, you can experiment with different fruits, nuts, and seeds. Try blueberries and almonds, bananas and walnuts, or apples and cinnamon for a change.
- Add More Protein: If you’re looking to increase your protein intake, consider adding a scoop of your favorite protein powder or a handful of nuts to the mix.
- Try Different Sweeteners: While this recipe uses stevia, you can use other natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar. Adjust the quantity to your liking.
- Use Different Types of Milk: This recipe uses almond milk, but you can use any other type of milk you prefer. Coconut milk, oat milk, or regular dairy milk can all be used.
- Warm it Up: While overnight oats are typically eaten cold, you can also warm them up in the microwave if you prefer a warm breakfast. Just be sure to remove the metal lid if you’re using a mason jar!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use steel-cut oats instead of rolled oats? Yes, you can use steel-cut oats, but they will result in a chewier texture and may require a longer soaking time.
- Can I use dairy-free yogurt? Absolutely! You can substitute the Greek yogurt with any dairy-free yogurt of your choice. This is a great option for those who are lactose intolerant or following a vegan diet.
- Can I add protein powder to my overnight oats? Yes, adding protein powder is a great way to increase the protein content of your overnight oats. Just be sure to adjust the amount of liquid accordingly to ensure the right consistency.
- Can I make a large batch of overnight oats? Definitely! Overnight oats are perfect for meal prep. You can easily scale up the recipe and make several servings at once. They will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- How long can I store overnight oats in the fridge? Overnight oats can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Make sure they’re kept in an airtight container or a sealed mason jar to maintain freshness.
A nutritious and delicious breakfast option that’s easy to prepare and perfect for meal prep.
1 cup rolled oats
0.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
0.25 cups 2% plain unsweetened Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon chia seeds
0.25 teaspoons cinnamon
A few drops of stevia
1 tablespoon all-natural peanut butter
Fresh chopped strawberries
- Start by adding 1 cup of rolled oats to a 16-ounce mason jar.
- Pour in 0.5 cups of unsweetened almond milk.
- Add 0.25 cups of 2% plain unsweetened Greek yogurt.
- Sprinkle in 1 teaspoon of chia seeds.
- Add 0.25 teaspoons of cinnamon and a few drops of stevia for sweetness.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of all-natural peanut butter.
- Add fresh chopped strawberries to taste.
- Stir all the ingredients until they’re well combined.
- Secure the lid on the mason jar.
- Place the jar in the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours or leave it overnight.
Remember, the oats will absorb the liquid and soften as they sit in the fridge, resulting in a thick, creamy, and flavorful breakfast ready to be enjoyed the next morning.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 jar
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 150mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
Keywords: Overnight Oats