The mirror cake is a cake covered with a glaze that sets with a reflection, hence the term mirror, There is a tonne of different designs.
You don’t need any special equipment to make this cake, and it’s not too difficult either.
How to Make a Mirror Cake Recipe:
The first thing you need to make a mirror cake is a cake.
You can use any type you would like, chocolate cake, cheesecake, I’ve chosen to make a strawberry and white chocolate mousse cake.
Make it the day before and place it into the freezer to freeze overnight. The frozen cake is going to help to set the glaze.
When you are ready to make the glaze measure out the white sugar and place it into a medium-sized saucepan.
To the sugar, we are going to add sweetened condensed milk as well as water.
The sweetened condensed milk is the most important ingredient in the glaze, it’s what going to create the reflection.
If you would like to make this mirror cake you can find a printable recipe on my website, just click the link on the screen.
Place the saucepan over medium-low heat stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
While the sugar, condensed milk and water is heating up, in a small bowl measure out 2 tablespoons of powdered gelatin and pour over half a cup of cold water.
This will swell the gelatine, allowing it to dissolve in the glaze much easier.
If you are vegetarian and would like a substitute for gelatin to try using agar.
Mix the water and gelatin with a spoon and leave for a few minutes.
Stir the sugar, condensed milk and water until it just begins to simmer and turn off the heat.
You will notice that the sugar has dissolved and the liquid has become a lot thinner.
Spoon in the swelled gelatin, it should have soaked up the water by now, becoming quite solid.
Stir it into the liquid until it has completely dissolved.
Into a medium-sized mixing bowl, pour in two cups of white chocolate chips.
Make sure to use chocolate chips or cut the chocolate small so it will melt a lot easier.
Pour the hot liquid over the white chocolate and leave it to sit for about 5 minutes to allow the chocolate to melt.
After 5 minutes use a whisk to gently mix the glaze until the chocolate chips have completely melted, this will take a few minutes.
Be very gentle to not put any air into the glaze as this will create air bubbles on the finished cake. If there is the odd bit of chocolate leftover, don’t worry we’ll put it through a sieve.
Now you can add your colouring.
I’m using a red gel food colouring as my cake is strawberry and white chocolate flavour but it’s completely up to you what colour you use.
We’ll create the marble effect when we pour the glaze over the cake so just choose your main colour at the moment.
Stir the colour into the glaze.
If you can still see chocolate chips in the glaze at this point now is a great time to pour the glaze through a sieve to remove any lumps.
Before we pour the glaze it needs to cool. The ideal pouring temperature is around 35-37 degrees celsius or about 90 degrees Fahrenheit, basically body temperature.
So how do you know it’s at this temperature?
You just use your hands to feel the outside of the bowl. It shouldn’t feel hot, or warm, but also not cold.
Just a very very cold lukewarm. Remove your cake from the freezer and place it onto a cup that is sitting in a tray to catch the drips from the glaze.
Begin to pour the glaze over the cake, it will run down covering the sides. A lot of the glaze will drip off, but you should get good coverage.
To create the marble effect use gel food colouring and add a few drops to the top of the cake.
Use a small offset spatula to smooth over the cake, spreading the gel colouring.
The glaze will still spread down the cake, making the effect look more authentic.
Leave the glaze to set for 3-4 hours before cutting into the cake.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe.Print
This mirror glaze is a super easy, shiny and fun recipe, made when pouring chocolate, sweetened condensed milk and gelatin over frozen cake.
- 1½ Cups | 300g Granulated Sugar
- ⅔ Cup | 200g Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ½ Cup + 1 Tablespoon | 150 ml Water
- 2 Tablespoons | 19g Gelatin Powder
- ½ Cup | 125 ml Water
- 2 Cups | 350g White Chocolate Chips
- Gel Food Coloring
- Frozen Cake
- Add sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and water to a medium-hot saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the water into the powdered gelatin and mix it with a spoon. Let it swell for a few minutes.
- When the sugar, sweetened condensed milk and water start to simmer, remove from the heat and add the swelled gelatin. Stir until the gelatin has dissolved.
- Pour the hot liquid over the chocolate chips and let them melt for 5 minutes.
- Stir the glaze with a whisk until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Add the food colouring gel and stir until everything is well mixed. Let the glaze cool down.
- Once the glaze has cooled to 37C | 90F pour it over the frozen cake which is on top of a cup sitting on a tray to catch the drips.
- Let the glaze last 15 minutes before removing the drips with a spatula.
- Put the cake in the fridge before serving and let it rest for a few hours.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Baking, Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mirror glaze, mirror glaze cake