You can make a strawberry milkshake in minutes using a blender. It’s a great way to use up those ripe strawberries from the garden or frozen strawberries if you don’t have any fresh ones.
Not only is this the best strawberry milkshake recipe, but it’s also super easy to make and tastes delicious.
Everyone loves a strawberry milkshake, kids and adults alike. You can experiment with different flavors by adding spices such as nutmeg, mint leaves, ginger, or cinnamon.
Ice cream is optional but gives it an added creamy taste and texture.
Strawberries contain Vitamin C and other healthy nutrients that keep your body functioning at optimum levels.
This simple strawberry milkshake recipe will become one of your favorites all year round. Let’s get started!
Is a milkshake a dessert?
We start with the timeless question, is a milkshake a dessert or a beverage?
We think it’s the dessert, as most milkshakes have an ice cream base and are served with a spoon to scoop up the sweet thick cream.
Most restaurants even put milkshakes in the dessert category.
In addition, Merriam-Webster dictionary defines dessert as ‘a usually sweet course or dish (as of pastry or ice cream) served at the end of a meal.
This all sounds like a milkshake to us for sure!
How to choose the best strawberries to make your milkshake?
The easiest step of this recipe is choosing good strawberries. Go for bright red and ripe strawberries that are also fresh and sweet.
Make sure they are not white in the middle but red or pink, as bright ones are sweet and have the best flavor.
If fresh strawberries are unavailable or not in season, use frozen ones. You can also use strawberry jam or strawberry syrup since they provide a good taste to your milkshake.
This taste may not be as good as the one provided by fresh strawberries, but they do the trick.
The easiest way to hull strawberries:
There are several ways to hull your strawberries and prepare them for your recipes.
You can purchase a strawberry huller and get rid of the calyx, or hull, that leafy top of the fruit, or pick up a straw and follow these instructions.
Use a straw that is stiff and has a larger diameter for better results. Hold your fruit so that the leafy part faces down, and then place your straw at the pointy end and push it vertically until the calyx comes out at the top.
If your strawberries are ripe, you will not need to use as much force. Grab the hull and get rid of it.
Can you make a strawberry milkshake without ice cream?
You can make a strawberry milkshake without ice cream to enjoy your good treat without guilt.
To replace the ice cream, you can use frozen bananas and add more fruits to your recipe.
These frozen bananas will make your milkshake thick, creamy, and sweet without artificial sugar. Substitute milk for almond milk to make it even healthier, low in cholesterol, and lactose-free.
Adding an avocado will further improve the texture and add smoothness and creaminess to your dessert.
What makes this strawberry milkshake healthy?
This is the ideal recipe for a healthy milkshake because it has:
- Loads of fruit!
- No sugar
- No ice cream! Frozen bananas make this milkshake frothy and thick enough, so you do not need to add any ice cream.
- All natural and no artificial flavors are added
- It can be altered to accommodate different diets
- This recipe makes enough for 2 people. Make sure you add more of each ingredient for more servings.
- You can sweeten your milkshake according to your taste. We suggest you add honey or maple syrup to keep it healthy.
- In addition to using frozen bananas, you can add more ice cubes to make it cooler and add texture. We suggest you keep a stash of frozen bananas and strawberries in your freezer for future recipes.
- You can also make this milkshake vegan. Replace regular milk with almond milk, cashew nut, coconut milk, or Greek yogurt.
- For more flavor, you can add vanilla extract. For a better nutritional value, add dried fruits or nuts.
- Even though this recipe is made without ice cream, you can choose to add it if you please. Remember that its consistency will change according to the ice cream/ milk ratios, so feel free to play with those two variables.
- A thicker consistency results from more ice cream, probably requiring a spoon to consume.
- More milk will make your milkshake thinner in consistency so you can drink it with a straw.
Tools for this recipe:
For any recipe, you must choose the right tools and ingredients.
Use fresh fruits of the best quality available and in season. It is now strawberry season, so purchase some fresh ones.
Make sure you also use full-fat milk, as it will make your smoothie creamier and filling (you can choose skimmed milk if you prefer to).
To make a good smoothie, you should use a good smoothie blender.
A standard kitchen blender will do the job but may leave chunks of fruits behind, which messes with the consistency.
A straw: We’ve used Stainless Steel Straws, Biodegradable Paper Straws, and Flexible Plastic Straws – they all work the same.Print
This is the perfect all natural strawberry milkshake for your hot days and afternoon cravings. This classic recipe is creamy, tasty, and can be made in a few minutes with or without ice cream.
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1 banana cut into pieces
- 2 cup full fat milk
- Start by freezing your banana for at least one hour
- Freeze your serving glasses as well so they stay cold and not melt fast
- Wash the strawberries and allow them to dry
- Hull the strawberries and cut them in halves
- Place your strawberries in a blender and add your banana and milk
- Blend well until everything is mixed and the milkshake is frothy and thick
- Serve and top your milkshake with strawberries (add whipped cream if you like)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert, Drinks
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: milkshake, strawberry ice cream, summer dessert, summer picnic